Skip to content

Hey Crooked Stic! UPDATED

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Hey Crooked Stic! UPDATED

Postby Rigs » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:52 am

So...

I cut a perfectly good bow in half to make a sleeve takedown. All lined up well and the wrapping went well. So here's where I'm at...

I tried to get the sucker apart and no dice... Clamped her into a vice and no movement whatosoever. Cure time has been 20 hours. Two coats of release agent... I wrapped her tight but not like I was trying to put a tourniquet on someone bleedin to death. The tenon is bigger on the bottom vs. the top (nice easy taper). Temp is about 65 in my house where I wrapped and cured it...

I did wrap pretty thick. Do you suppose I need to give it more time to make sure it's all the way hardened?

Thaks Mike!

Jason
Last edited by Rigs on Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happy hunting,
Jason
Rigs

Re: Hey Crooked Stic!

Postby Bobmeister » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:25 pm

I always shape the handle and limbs then string it up and shoot it. That should usually let it move a bit. if that don't work then clamp one side of the riser in the vise and whack the other end with a mallet. if that doesn't work you have a one piece .
I had that happen once :oops:

Thinking more about it I've had them stick were the bottom of the handle meets the step at bottom half. So just shaping the grip will probably let it free.
Bobmeister

Postby Rigs » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:23 pm

Thanks Bob!

I'll give it a go...I ended up cutting that 50's style recurve...Just couldn't help myself... :shock:

Jas
Happy hunting,
Jason
Rigs

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:15 pm

If u have a long freezer put it in for a couple hours then tap it with a rubber mallet.

Dave
arrowlauncherdj

Postby Crooked Stic » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:31 pm

The last one I done did me the same way. I wrapped it as a blank and did the limbs etc. before trying to get it apart. I got no movement at all until I rapped the wrap with a dead blow hammer pretty hard. So don't give up on it yet. The freezer deal might work--also (never done this) but maybe heating the wrap up with a hair dryer may expand it a bit and let loose. They react to hot and cold and humidity even though the wood is sealed. Good luck--
Let us see some pics.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby bigun » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:31 pm

patiently waiting.
bigun

Postby Rigs » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:26 pm

I'll try the freezer mallet trick...I'm just hopin this works...I really like this idea of a takedown...just hope I can get it to work...

Thanks Guys,
Jason
Happy hunting,
Jason
Rigs

Postby Rigs » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:44 am

Well...it's a no go on the first one... I beat this bow like a rented mule and it wouldn't budge. The plus is that the grip I shaped I like a helluvalot better that the original. Just feels tons better in my hand. The glass and carbon wrap added some nice mass as well. Bow just feels better to shoot. Thought about grinding it all away and trying again, but feel I'd be tempting fate.

There's always the next one...

Happy hunting,
Jason
Happy hunting,
Jason
Rigs

Re: Hey Crooked Stic! UPDATED

Postby Crooked Stic » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:37 am

Yep you will figure it out. The beauty of this type of deal that you still have a bow that is not trashed if it is a bastard.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Re: Hey Crooked Stic! UPDATED

Postby Kirkll » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:56 pm

Crooked Stic wrote:Yep you will figure it out. The beauty of this type of deal that you still have a bow that is not trashed if it is a bastard.

If you've got a guy in Europe that orders a two piece like this built for him, it's going to be kinda tough explaining why you couldn't break it down.... :lol: :lol:

I've got one coming up pretty soon myself, and i'm going to haul off and try something different. I'll share it with you guys when the time comes.
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Next

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery