Skip to content

Raw Wood lamination?

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Raw Wood lamination?

Postby Tachyon » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:41 am

Hello, I'm new to bow building, and to this forum too :)
Could anyone please tell me if I can get some raw wood (maple in this particular case), cut it into laminations while still raw, then make it dry for a month or less (2 milimeters in thickness should dry pretty fast).
Then, I guess the wood will be really deformed.
Can I heat it and slowly make it take its previous form? Will it damage the wood (of course if I heat too much...)? And will the wood have some internal tension in it after being cooled? Also, will it loose its mechanical properties?

Thanks in advance for your answer, and I apologize for my poor English.

BTW, to moderators: I'm absolutely not sure I'm posting in the right place, so please, move it if I made a mistake :)
With respect, Tachyon.
Tachyon

Re: Raw Wood lamination?

Postby Crooked Stic » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:02 pm

I think you will be way better to let the wood dry on its own sawed 8/4 . It takes 8/4 osage maybe 10 months to air dry inside my shop. Don't know about maple.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Tachyon » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:36 pm

Thanks for the answer!
But the thing is that actually, letting it dry for a year (maple is dense) is well... long.
I want to accelerate the procedure not because I'm so impatient, but because it's cheaper than in a store (the maple is from my garden). So if I wait so long... it's really easier to buy it directly.

Also, I'm just loving all sorts of experiments.
With respect, Tachyon.
Tachyon

Postby Iktomi » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:25 am

Cut at 2mm while green and allowed to dry, your wood might want to do the twist. I'd cut it thicker....8-12mm and sticker it well and let it air dry. You might be able to get it dry in 2-3 months that way. Maple tends to be fairly stable dimensionally, so maybe cut a few slats and experiment.
"I’d have my cock out if I scored four goals. I’d have my cock out, stroking it."

Joe Thornton, Captain of the San Jose Sharks :lol:
Iktomi

Postby Tachyon » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:44 am

Iktomi wrote:Cut at 2mm while green and allowed to dry, your wood might want to do the twist. I'd cut it thicker....8-12mm and sticker it well and let it air dry. You might be able to get it dry in 2-3 months that way. Maple tends to be fairly stable dimensionally, so maybe cut a few slats and experiment.

Ok, I see. I'll try different thicknesses and see which one will work best.

Also, this question being answered, could anyone tell me if gluing thin bamboo laminations (5x1 mm), and then sanding and sawing it, will make a better lamination in what concerns the spin?
When I say "to glue it", I mean to glue it like bricks, with a certain overlapping.
With respect, Tachyon.
Tachyon

Postby MoeM » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:07 pm

That`s called actionboo, lamboo, boo flooring, boo plates for furniture etc. and yes it is excellent for bow laminations.
I use it in my glassbows as core- look for yumis, the japanese art of making boo-bows!

What do you want to build anyway? If you drench the warped lams in epoxi and press them between fibreglass the warping won`t be hell of a problem I guess...
MoeM

Postby Tachyon » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:28 pm

Ok, thanks, I see...

Well, I want to build a recurve (in fact, double recurve, another one on the riser), but as you could see, money is the main problem :) So, I'm just thinking of possible ways...

Anyway, for the moment I haven't thought of everything, so I am googling, asking here...
With respect, Tachyon.
Tachyon

Postby Jesse » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:49 am

If you have a hot box you can dry out maple pretty quick. Set it at about 100°f for a few weeks. When it stops loosing weight its ready to go.
Northeast Wisconsin
Jesse

Postby Tachyon » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:02 am

Ok, so aproximately 37 degrees C? I'll try.
For the moment, I'm thinking of a way of dealing with the fact that raw wood isn't really compatible with sandpaper and all that stuff...
With respect, Tachyon.
Tachyon

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery