Skip to content

Spray gun news...

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Spray gun news...

Postby Kirkll » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:56 pm

Over the years doing wood working i always spent the extra money on professional tools, and it always paid off in better quality workmanship. Over the last 3 years i've been trying to master the art of spraying clear coating. I've used about every type of material out there and found some more user friendly than others.... the one thing i hadn't done was go to an auto body/paint shop and buy a professional spray gun..... i've been wearing out these cheap harbor freight units at about one every 6 months. I get about 30-40 bows out of a gun and it's ready for the trash can...

Well i finally bit the bullet and bought a pro gun made by Warwick Industries..... All i can say is i wish i would have spent the money on a professional gun a long time ago. The best $150 I've spent in years, i kid you not...i know there are a lot of guys out there using the cheap harbor freight shit.... and the difference is night and day guys. Takes all the fight right out of it..... Food for thought...... next time your spray gun starts acting up again i'd highly recommend driving by harbor freight and find an auto paint supply store to fix you up with something nice....you'll never regret it guys .

BTW get set up with a 1.4 tip for clear coating, and throw that filter in the gun away first thing. :lol: the rest just takes time getting to know your gun and the material you are working with.... Kirk
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Re: Spray gun news...

Postby MikeW » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:13 am

I don't know much about it but one of my sons paints cars and has two guns that cost around $350 each. They are his pride & joy. They just look like an other paint gun to me.

:mrgreen:
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.
MikeW

Postby Iktomi » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:19 am

I don't know squat about spray guns but you are right that top quality tools goes a LONG way towards making life easier.
"I’d have my cock out if I scored four goals. I’d have my cock out, stroking it."

Joe Thornton, Captain of the San Jose Sharks :lol:
Iktomi

Postby Crooked Stic » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:13 pm

We have a Devillbiss gravity feed gun at work for painting engines. $500. It works great when it is cleaned good after each use. Myself I am still using a HF gun. This finish we use is hard on them. Seems there is a white residue left in the gun even after cleaning that is almost impossible to get out. I found it really bad when I used T-bird.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby kcbrown » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:39 pm

It is hard on them. The Krystal uses acid to catalyze so it is eating on it the whole time it is in the gun.
kcbrown

Postby Kirkll » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:39 am

I spent a little time talking to guys that paint cars for a living and use these things every day. Most of the guys tell me they "keep their guns wet" all the time to keep em from gumming up. After they are done for the day, they run a reducer, or compatible thinner through the gun real good, and then plop it in a coffee can with about 3 inches of "Clean" thinner in the bottom to keep it wet.... depending on the material you are using, and the type of reducers, the amount of time before the gun needs new seals varies......

With a Pro gun, they can easily replace the seals at very little cost. The cheap ass guns just aren't made to rebuild them or replace parts.

I was told that the worst thing you can do to a spray gun that has dried out, is use it before letting it soak in thinner for awhile. So for the guys that go a long time between using their spray rigs, it isn't going to be practical to keep them wet. you guys may want to try soaking them for a bit before using them, and the seals will last longer.
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby kcbrown » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:12 pm

I keep mine wet with lacquer thinner. I save what has been in it over time and run that through first and then put fresh back in. Seem to work.
kcbrown

Postby MikeW » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:56 pm

After they are done for the day, they run a reducer, or compatible thinner through the gun real good, and then plop it in a coffee can with about 3 inches of "Clean" thinner in the bottom to keep it wet.

Same thing my son does. Didn't ask him what they were soaking in but he keeps them in a paint can soaking in something.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.
MikeW

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery