Skip to content

Noodling longbow limbs?

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Noodling longbow limbs?

Postby Kegan » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:37 am

I'm working on a set of ILF longbow limbs, and noticed that if I try to drop the brace below say 8", one limb will curl the string up. However, when the tiller is even it can be flip flopped back and forth, with the limbs never "resting" in the middle.

What did I do wrong? The shape is pretty similiar to a set of TT Longbow limbs I traded for, am I just not using enough laminations or something?

I didn't have this much trouble making a set of longbow limbs for my bolt-and-pin recurve riser until I tried to add an extra two inches of reflex, but on this ILF the final reflex (tips behind the riser) is a lot less though?
Kegan

Re: Noodling longbow limbs?

Postby 4nolz » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:49 am

did you use an ILF wedge in the limb butt or a standard wedge
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby Kegan » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:58 am

It's an ILF rocker, but it's a little too thick fading into the limb.

I tried it on a 17" Titan and a 19" Pinnacle, and no noodling there, even with a 6" BH. It's just the 21" Excel that they go wonky?
Kegan

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:27 am

I''m no bowyer, so I'm don't know the why, but the noodling of those limbs have been talked about since they were introduced. By their design, they need a higher brace height on some risers. Nothing wrong with them, they're fine limbs, it's just the way they are. If you can get a set of SKY ILF limbs and follow their design, you won't have that.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery