Skip to content

Black walnut

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Black walnut

Postby TxSnoman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:09 pm

Trux and I are going to be harvesting some black walnut this weekend, and I was wanting to know if anyone would be interested in some. Give me a post or pm me if you are, I'll be happy to send it your way if you'll help with the shipping, or if ya want to trade for something that'll be fine too.
"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." - Thomas Jefferson
TxSnoman

Re: Black walnut

Postby Crooked Stic » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:34 pm

How are you cutting it up. 8/4 or just leave it in log form?
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Re: Black walnut

Postby Kirkll » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:43 pm

If you are rough sawing the stuff into lengths, be sure and cut it about 4" longer than you want, an paint the ends right away. That stuff is real touchy getting it from green 30-35% MC, down to 20%. Stack it with 3/4" stickers every foot and a weight on the top piece. then get a fan on it.... Air circulation dries wood faster than heat. you are better off drying it slow at 50-55 degrees over 3 months with fans, than getting it too warm. the stuff will twist up like a cork screw and split real easy with too much heat. Winter time is the best time for harvesting green lumber.... Good luck on it bro. :D
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery