Skip to content

updated w pics - couple of quick questions for shedding lbs

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

updated w pics - couple of quick questions for shedding lbs

Postby Chemsolder » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:23 am

Building a short reflex deflex to fit in the car off of my kids bow form...not for efficiency but transportability and small game in the brush. Changed my core materials and glass thickness used very straight grained hard maple core .004 taper and .050 glass. Well missed weight big time was shooting for 50 at 28, I have 50 at 17, what methods would you use to shed the lbs? I am thinking narrowing limbs tips are north of 1/2 I can bring them down to a half pretty simply and trapping is this the way you would go?. Also can somone explain there method of trapping on d/r to get a consistent taper? Thanks,
Greg
Last edited by Chemsolder on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chemsolder

Re: couple of quick questions for shedding lbs

Postby Kirkll » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:15 am

I don't know how wide you are at the fades, but you can shed a lot of weight by narrowing up the bow from the riser through the working limbs. I'd keep the limb edges square to the back and round over the glass a bit. Be careful trapping to the belly with an .004 taper. Its real easy to loose the lateral stability and you'll never keep the limbs straight.

How thick is your glass? you can easily sand that stuff down to .030 back and .020 belly with maple cores with no worries of blowing her up if she's not stacking and your draw length isn't excessive.
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Chemsolder » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:31 pm

Was thinking trapping may be problematic. Dont know how much she is stackin but sure she is some.. expected it too though cause it is short, it is 050 glass back and belly 1.34 wide at tapers. And I made the lams with as little grain runout as possible cause I knew I would push limits, or my limots., I actually drew it almost all the way, could shoot it once a day...maybe on a good day.
Chemsolder

Postby Crooked Stic » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:35 pm

I would think you could narrow it to 1 1/4 at the fades and taper the limbs to 3/8 at the tips. I think you will still be heavy. Like kirk said you can sand the glass a lot. Just keep the strokes the same number as you go. And spot check to be sure you are not sanding too much in one spot. Then give the front glass an aggressive corner rounding.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Chemsolder » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:30 pm

Progress is being made in the right direction...was able to narrow the limbs a bit and moved it to 50@21...still a whole lot to go right at 1.25 at the fades and .5 at the nocks sanded a few strokes at the back and belly a bit more can tell a difference bending them by hand will put it on the scale tomorrow after i find me a better one...mine only goes to 50lbs. Thanks Crooked and Kirk. You are both an awesome resource for a guy just getting started mixing his woodworking and hunting.
Chemsolder

Re: updated w pics - couple of quick questions for shedding

Postby Chemsolder » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:38 am

Quick update, y original scale was a bit off...oh well cheap Chinese junk scale it was...it weighg in at a minium of 5lbs light. So I've sanded and shaved then hit it with a quick coat of deft which will be sanded off and refinished later. And now I have a bunny buster that pulls 74lbs at 26" before it starts stacking. yep there is a reason long belongs in the longbow name as this short one just won't pull 30" unless you want a 90lb bow :oops: . I do enjoy shooting it as it is just need to mod my old compound arrows by adding a bit of weight cause it is too pretty to shoot a 540 grain arrow out of anymore, even though it doesn't complain I think a 700 grain would be more appropriate.
Chemsolder

Re: updated w pics - couple of quick questions for shedding

Postby Crooked Stic » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:52 pm

That thing just looks stout. It appears you could still taper your limbs more with the thick core. And still really get aggressive with rounding the front corners. You will lose weight quicker on the tension side of the limb. Bunnies should not have a chance if you hit them with 74 lbs. :)
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery