Skip to content

Not so new twist on an old design

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Not so new twist on an old design

Postby TimZeigler » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:43 am

I built a form a few years back thats based on the old Bear aluminum lam Kodiak, guess that would make it 48/49. I introduced more reflex into it, and bought the lams. Fast forward 2 years or so and I finally got the time, and energy to lay it up. Not sure what I was thinking when I got the lams, but I ended up with all tapers for my core lams. Using an 18" riser, 66" nock to nock unstrung. I used a glass tip wedges that is 9" long and extends from the limb tip to 2" over the shoulder. Not even close to my best guess draw weight, but its pulling about #28@28. :mrgreen:

Here it bending on the tiller board.

TimZeigler

Re: Not so new twist on an old design

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:01 pm

That's pretty wicked looking. Nice experiment. I wanna see where u take that for sure

Dave
arrowlauncherdj

Postby Trux » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:34 pm

arrowlauncherdj wrote:That's pretty wicked looking. Nice experiment. I wanna see where u take that for sure

Dave

Im with Dave on this one- ready to see the next one...
Trux

Postby Iktomi » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:24 pm

I have a form for making the old bear type statics too. What is your stack and width on this one?
"I’d have my cock out if I scored four goals. I’d have my cock out, stroking it."

Joe Thornton, Captain of the San Jose Sharks :lol:
Iktomi

Postby TimZeigler » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:43 am

I'll have to check my notes, but I believe the core lams used were both .002 tapers, and .050 glass. The glass was too thick in my opinion, the limbs are slow to recover. I tried to stay as close to the limb dimensions (width wise) as possible, although I left my riser 1.5" out to the fadeouts because I like a thicker grip for comfort. From there, the limb width drops about 1/16 per inch to the knocks which are 5/8" wide.

Next one will get a slightly longer riser, a parallel and taper combo and .040 glass.

Iktomi, do you have any pictures of what came off your form? details?
TimZeigler

Postby Iktomi » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:06 am

Thanks, Tim,

I haven't laid a bow up on it yet. It's a solid steel form made by a friend of mine who has laid up several bows on it. They are a pretty close match for a '53 Kodiak with brush nocks.
"I’d have my cock out if I scored four goals. I’d have my cock out, stroking it."

Joe Thornton, Captain of the San Jose Sharks :lol:
Iktomi

Postby TimZeigler » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:06 am

Forgot to mention, I think my total pack thickness was .320 which seems about right for the it's current draw weight. Next one will be around .418 ...I think :?
TimZeigler

Postby Kirkll » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:36 am

That looks like a fun project Tim. :D

Just my .02 cents worth.... but if you dropped the stack height to about 280 and use an .001 or even.002 taper with a wider limb... that will turn that bow into a different animal all together. I've been playing with these static tip curves for about a year now, and i set mine up to start with 1.75" glass and try and keep my width above 1 9/16" to 1 5/8" clear out through the working portion of the limb, and just taper the width to 1/2" or 5/8" to the tip in the last 8" in the hook area...... I tried straight tapers from the fades to the tips with a thicker stack and just couldn't get them to track as nicely as the wider limbs do.... Food for though bro...

These static tip bows are tricky to pull off with good manners. in many ways i can see the advantages of a semi static over the full static tip. The tail end of the draw is a bit softer with the semi static, or working recurve design...... BUT.... you can get some ass kicking speed out of these static tip bows when it all comes together.... :D
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby TimZeigler » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:38 am

Thats great info Kirk, exactly what I was looking for.

I was debating on using a stabilizing material like Coretuff throughout the limb to help stabilize the limb, and cut down on the overall stack height. What's your thoughts on that? Any experience using Coretuff in your static designs?

If I'm not mistaken, I think I used dual .002 tapers as the core lams, which pull smooth as butter, but are way too thin at the tips and with the .050 glass. It shoots a bit sluggish with some hand shock. I'm going to trap the belly, and lighten the tips to hopefully overcome some of the weight issues caused by the thicker glass.

I like the idea of going wider through the working part of the limb. For the first one, I was trying to maintain the limb design integrity of the original design, although I added more reflex to the design. It's hard to gauge the original because it uses that aluminum lam, and a veneer over that.
TimZeigler

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery