Skip to content

Finally, some shavings on the shop floor. Full draw pics

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Finally, some shavings on the shop floor. Full draw pics

Postby Iktomi » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:35 am

It's been a pretty long year. I have been occupied between full time work and managing my elderly mother's failing health and so I really haven't had any time to devote to bow making or much of anything else. I've been doing good if I can just find the time to sneak out back to shoot a little bit. Fortunately the situation has improved somewhat and I have some time and the energy to get back into making some wooden bows.

This stave is a piece of osage that my friend Sal Ochoa gifted to me a while back. This osage stave is pretty much as good as osage gets. Pipe straight, moderate reflex, 3/16" average latewood ring with newspaper thin early wood, not pins, knots, or snake, I have it roughed out, intend to finish it at 67" NTN, and 60-ish @ 29 1/2" draw. It'll be a very trim flatbow with max limb width of 1 1/8", which on this stave is plenty for a bow in excess of 100#. Narrower though and it could have issues with lateral stability. The grip will be stiff and slightly narrowed. I'll work down the transition from grip to limb and start the tillering. Feels good to have shavings on the shop floor.

Last edited by Iktomi on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I’d have my cock out if I scored four goals. I’d have my cock out, stroking it."

Joe Thornton, Captain of the San Jose Sharks :lol:
Iktomi

Re: Finally, some shavings on the shop floor.

Postby Iktomi » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:48 am

I have the grip to limb transition pretty much worked out and a good floor tiller going on. I will do some swoop-de-doo contouring on the belly side of the grip once I get ready to start shooting it. I could probably string it up and shoot it now, if I was up to drawing 100# +, LOL. Which I'm not.
I began narrowing the grip, which I often leave till well along in the tiller so as to see how the string tracks along the grip. But this stave is so straight and clean that I don't anticipate any issues in that regard. The grip area is 7/8" wide, which gives some perspective on how narrow the limbs really are. A narrower, thicker limb will yield a quicker bow, and it's nice to do if your wood is up to it. This is essentially a very narrow pyramid configuration, with a straight taper right out of the grip to the nocks. The nocks and outer limbs will get my super skinny treatment, will likely finish out around 1/4" - 5/16" at the nock with overlays.
It's just a matter of peeling weight off at this point, refining and maintaining tiller shape to final draw weight and length. With luck, I might have it strung to brace in another session of shop time.

"I’d have my cock out if I scored four goals. I’d have my cock out, stroking it."

Iktomi

Postby Stykshooter » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:32 am

Good looking stick!
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Kirkll » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:58 pm

Good to see you getting back to it Rick. :D I'll look forward to seeing how this one comes out for you.

I've got an Osage stave i'm going to need some help with some day bro. Are you up for it? I'm talking self bowyer 101 i'm afraid. :oops:
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Iktomi » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:29 pm

Did a little long stringing to make sure my shape looks good before I brace it, and set it up with tip overlays. I'll have it to brace and and then some tomorrow along with more and better pics.

This limb has a slightly rounded over, radiused belly. Now there's a couple of schools of thought on this and both have merit. One says, and it's true all things being equal, that a flat belly is more efficient than a radiused limb belly. HOWEVER, a dead flat belly is more difficult to accurately judge taper on. Doing a completely flat belly makes it easier to fuck up and have the tiller get away from you, and end up chasing tiller from one spot to another. When tiller is off, and a section is bending more than it should be, the wood is over stressed. You are going to lose a bit of performance in an all wood limb if it is overstressed at any point in the building. With a radiused belly, once you get your basic profile and lay in your facets, it is an almost foolproof way to get an accurate, consistent taper along the length of the working limb regardless of bumps or wiggles. The facets themselves reveal at a glance where there is a deviation in thickness, and it is easy to clean it up before you even start bending the wood. This reduces the likelihood that you will hinge a section and overstress the wood. So IMO, radiusing the belly makes for an easier, more precise tiller, and I am of the belief that quality of tiller trumps configuration, i.e. radiused vs. flat belly. There's a big qualifier to this though...your wood must be able to withstand the higher compression force that results from a radiused belly. Whitewoods such as oak, hickory, elm and the like generally are not good candidates for this shape. Yew, good quality osage, mulberry as well as certain tropical hardwoods in laminated wooden bow are woods that have worked well for me. Now I've done alot of flat bellied whitewood bows that shoot as hard and fast as anything, but doing a wide, flat limb requires a slower pace and for me, considerably more time.

Kirk, if you post with pics as you go I can walk you through it.

Iktomi

Postby Iktomi » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:16 pm

A look at first brace. Pretty damn good for first stringing. I had to work the mid/outer lower limb, and a bit on the inner top limb. I have it drawing 55@ 22", not alot to go really to get 60# @ 29 1/2" but it's good to go slow slow at this point. I'm not in any hurry anyways.

Iktomi

Postby Kirkll » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:45 am

Damn Rick! The shape of those limbs look Goooood. That one is going to be a shooter for sure.... :D
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby jeffhalfrack » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:18 am

29 1/2" draw???? how long is this bow?? :shock: looks good! JeffW
jeffhalfrack

Postby Iktomi » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:39 am

jeffhalfrack wrote:29 1/2" draw???? how long is this bow?? :shock: looks good! JeffW

Jeff, the bow is 67" NTN.

I've been busy with a large custom arrow order so I had to set the bow aside for a few days and work on that.

I have it out to 60# @ 27". It's looking real good, though if you look at the picture it appears that the right hand limb is a bit stiffer than the left.

Which kinda has me scratching my head, because in real time they look real even. Soooooo...I swap ends and photograph it again. The second pic with ends swapped around looks virtually identical. I think I am pretty good :)

That shows the value and importance of looking at your tiller from both sides, something I do as a matter of practice. I'm going to put a few dozen arrows through it tonight at this shorter draw and recheck, make any final adjustments before I bring it home. This bow is so trim and delicate looking it almost looks like a kid's bow. Unbraced it is still standing with a wee tiny bit of reflex. I reckon when she's all said and done she should be about dead even, or maybe a teeny bit of string follow, less than 1/2" I'd say. The overall mass on this bow is very light, even with a stiff handle she weighs a svelte 17 oz. She should be a great performing selfbow, and I reckon she'll shoot with right with a Hill bow of equal weight. Not shabby for a stick of yaller wood.

Iktomi

Re: Finally, some shavings on the shop floor. Updated pics

Postby Iktomi » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:44 am

Well crap the pic got cut off on the right side. anyhow, you do get a look at both limbs with the 2 separate pics so y'all can see what I mean.

Iktomi

Next

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery