Skip to content

7/16" drill bit for riser bolt inserts?

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

7/16" drill bit for riser bolt inserts?

Postby Kegan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:23 am

I've been using a 27/64" bit as per Bingham's jig and instructions for my three piece riser inserts, but it's officially given up the ghost. It got over heated and I can't even get it to hold an edge now. Anyway, I was wondering if a 7/16" bit would be alright to use since I can't find another 27/64" without spending a bunch of money on a whole new set? Is that 1/64" that important for a bushing that would get epoxied in anyway?

Help please?
Kegan

Re: 7/16" drill bit for riser bolt inserts?

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:42 pm

Kegan my inserts fit kinda loose with the 27/64 bit, it may be too loose wih the 7/16, but then it may be actually fine and just leave more room for epoxy which may be good.

Dave
arrowlauncherdj

Postby Crooked Stic » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:22 pm

Every TD riser I have built has 7/16 hole in it. I have had 0 problems. The outside cut on the threads will be the same. 1/64th means there will be 1/128th less on the inner part of the threads--don't know what that is in 1000s but nothing to worry about. Just use some epoxy or Ca glue when you put them in.
Last edited by Crooked Stic on Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Kegan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:00 pm

Thanks guys! That saves me a ton of trouble with bits!
Kegan

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery