Skip to content

Limb wedges

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Limb wedges

Postby bow101 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:02 pm

Should wedges be tapered all the way, or is it better to have a total flat spot on the riser then taper down.? I noticed some guys taper all the way. I figure its better for the hold down bolts as the holes are drilled a perfect 90 degrees.. :|
"If i could build it right the first time, whats the point in trying"
bow101

Re: Limb wedges

Postby BK in TEXAS » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:46 pm

Completely up to you....I've done it both ways. I typically drill the hole straight through the limb into the riser to be sure the holes are the same angle (you won't notice if they are slightly off, as long as they are slightly off the same on the limb and the riser)
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby Crooked Stic » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:59 pm

Take a look at the ILF limb. It only has a small part of the bezel and washer touching the limb. Plus there is some movement there --so it may not be real critical that is perfectly sguare. Althought more piece of mind when it is.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby bow101 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:12 pm

I would be more confident if it was square been that I'm a rookie..and do you really want movement at that critical junction.
"If i could build it right the first time, whats the point in trying"
bow101

Postby Crooked Stic » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:34 am

It is going to flex some no matter what.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Kirkll » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:16 am

The bezel washer takes care of the situation if the slope, or taper rate of your wedge isn't too steep. if it's too steep you'll see it in the head of the limb bolt as it swivels. If you are using the Knob type limb bolt, you should at least level out your limb but overlay. Kirk
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery