Skip to content

a little reflex/deflex riser action starting up...

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

a little reflex/deflex riser action starting up...

Postby TargetSlayer » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:51 am

I know I know...
fine
TargetSlayer

Re: a little reflex/deflex riser action starting up...

Postby Crooked Stic » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:14 am

Looking good------although I think you been Smurfed-- :o
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Trux » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:35 am

Looking good!
Trux

Postby chackworth3 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:23 pm

Looking good! Ready for more!
Chris
Dry Creek Bow Company
http://www.drycreekbowcompany.com/
chackworth3

Postby Kirkll » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:56 am

Nice looking shape to those fades bro.... That'll work. :D
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby TargetSlayer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:02 am

It turned into 4 done with this accent, pics here mixed. I got a little crazy with the one I sold to a stranger (I have gone back to a simpler handle for this hybrid after playing with handles mimicking a commercial ILF I had riser handle profile; made it look weird and some love it while my Dad wanted to rotate it in his hand too much to overly "palm" the ball; I ground it off more in the end :lol: :

One was a 38#'er for my dad and the others about 50#:

How's that last one look technically?
For some reason the lighting in photos trumps low magnification in real life to bring out flaws (in gems and stones too) but then again I have one eye working for now. Glad I'm an instinctive shooter; it hasn't mattered a lot.
These were pro bono except the one which sold mega-cheap as far as I'm concerned so I didn't kill myself on the finish on a couple of them.
TargetSlayer

Postby TargetSlayer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:11 am

accidental duplicate post deleted
Last edited by TargetSlayer on Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
TargetSlayer

Postby MoeM » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:31 am

Nice riser you did on her!
But technically I think you might go without reflex left at brace- hoe long is she?
MoeM

Postby TargetSlayer » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:20 am

MoeM wrote:Nice riser you did on her!
But technically I think you might go without reflex left at brace- hoe long is she?

Thanks for the input -- I'm editing this because I misunderstood -
was Moe suggesting with the bow strung, he'd construct the bow in a way that it would no longer show reflex at that point (only showing relfex unstrung) or did he mean at full draw?
Or conversely was he saying too much relfex is being taken away - use tip wedges to stiffen?
TargetSlayer

Postby TargetSlayer » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:24 am

MoeM wrote:Nice riser you did on her!

62"
I'm bumping this because originally I missed this meaning for sure from Moe and I'd like to comprehend and consider it BEFORE glueup but what does, "I think you might go without reflex left at brace" mean?

Thank y'all in advance as usual!
Incidently - a design aesthetic change -- insetad of curved 3 layer accent in the riser THIS time the 62" R/D (Bingham's Hybrid 62" more or less but stiffer and/or present-at-all tip wedges this time vs. above) with intended red/white/blue faded glory southern cross theme with intersecting bands of color, but it's time to improve the performance a second time. I'm adding tip wedges (stiffer ones now & double-checking length) AND first time powerlam (instead of my long thin eyeballed walnut fades) because the ipe fades (this time) are freaking me out, inflexible and with decorative 4-layer Ibeam this time adding to the weirdness of the raw riser fades - pics has uncarved riser grip or "top" (belly riser really)highlighted since it was looking kind of 2-D - the planes of color will show their intersect in the sight window / rest where my usual curve line usually greets the arrow, this time, perhaps gracing each shaft's length true (x) and patriotic (y) in one fell swoop upon each release :D finished pics to clarify when done & "up" this week
TargetSlayer

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery