Skip to content

New Design (sorta)(got another one going)

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

New Design (sorta)(got another one going)

Postby Crooked Stic » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:00 pm

I have the short longbow with the riser to the front. I decided I need a riser to the belly design that I could take up 64 in. The one I have now a nice shooter but lacking a bit in the performance department. I did some proto typing when WTT was going and got respectable numbers out of it. It was the Tj inspired one limb form. So I decided to make a full form for this design. It will have a bit more reflex. Hopefully raise the numbers a bit. Anyhow I will post some pics as it progresses. All I like is getting some anti slip washers on the form and it will be done and ready for a dry run.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7473
Here is a pic of a makeshift jig for drilling strap holes and not having to fight the form in the drill press. I drill these holes before the form is cut apart after laying out cut lines for top and bottom half.
Last edited by Crooked Stic on Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Re: New Design (sorta)

Postby Dan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:26 pm

I love the forward riser design, can't wait for more.
Dan

Postby chackworth3 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:54 pm

I'm ready for some more! I'll be watching this one close
Chris
Dry Creek Bow Company
http://www.drycreekbowcompany.com/
chackworth3

Postby Crooked Stic » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:11 pm

I got a chance to take a couple of pics of the form. Also the riser block. I just cut the block apart with a blade that is not new sharp (wandered a bit) Clean it up a bit and added a thin maple accent. Got a bit of wavy character ;) Maybe I will get time to grind some lams over the weekend. Planning on using the carmel colored glass from Kenny M.
Crooked Stic

Postby Crooked Stic » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:51 pm

Crap!!! This project will be delayed. The feed belt motor on my drum sander shot craps today. A Baby Drum by Grizzly. Cant really complain though. It is hard telling how many feet of lams and wood that has went thru it.
Crooked Stic

Postby Crooked Stic » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:44 pm

Well $260 later my drum sander is fixed up with a new upgrade feed motor. So I got one of these Layed up and out of the form. Not sure about the taper rate yet. This one is .004 It could use a bit more preload. I did make the riser 1 1/2 shorter that might have something to do with it. Anyhow it seems pretty zippy. I got it kinda shaped out tonite. Olive shade spectraply and the carmel glass from Kenny M. The pics are not too good but you can get the idea.
Crooked Stic

Postby chackworth3 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:21 pm

That carmel glass looks good with the olive spectra ply. You got any pics braced and at full draw?
Chris
Dry Creek Bow Company
http://www.drycreekbowcompany.com/
chackworth3

Postby Trux » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:46 pm

Pretty nice looking- i like the new glass color.
Trux

Postby Crooked Stic » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:08 am

I can probably work on some this weekend and get the pics. Want to try and get some stand time in also. Last weekend was really crappy weather and hot.
Crooked Stic

Postby bow101 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:39 pm

Really like that riser, waiting for a pic when you get the finish on, that'll make the colors pop.
"If i could build it right the first time, whats the point in trying"
bow101

Next

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery