Skip to content

Bloodwood and curly maple bow, finished pics p4

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Re: Bloodwood and curly maple bow for friend, chrono numbers

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:53 am

One more tidbit I forgot... Brace height, I waited to chrono til I got the brace height where it felt best and was quietest, that being 7 1/4". My old bow with the steeper 10* pad braces best at 7 5/8".

My thoughts on the speed gain is it may have as much to do with power stroke increase at a shorter brace as the inc in stacking on the back side of the draw, what say yall? It makes me think about what would a tip wedge do?

Dave
arrowlauncherdj

Postby Crooked Stic » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:51 pm

That is a respectable gain for your changes. I would be happy with that if it was me and the behavior was good. Numbers aren't the main thing. But having the cake and -- ;)
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:30 am

Very true Mike. You know how bowyers are tho :D it still behaves well and in fact has a bit less buzz on the shot than the one I made you for the swap last year. I am really happy with it as is and I think the 8* pad angle is the way to go for anyone with reasonable draw length. Some ape armed dude might be better with the 10*. I'm going to make myself another one soon and drop it down to 60" AMO from its current 62" and see what that does. I'd love to get down to a 58" model soon but I'm sure I'd have to stick with 10* pads for a shorty like that.

Dave
arrowlauncherdj

Postby Crooked Stic » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:54 am

Shorter riser or shorter limbs? Choices-choices :) 60 seems a good length in a curve for me.
Crooked Stic

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:38 am

I dunno Mike, I can flip my wedge stop on my form to shorten the limbs an inch, then just shorten my PL some to keep a similar FD curve. Or I could just shorten my riser, but I like the extra mass in the riser and my sight window is about how I like it, don't wanna go shorter on the window.
arrowlauncherdj

Postby Iktomi » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:32 pm

That's respectable performance for a bow set up for hunting.
"I’d have my cock out if I scored four goals. I’d have my cock out, stroking it."

Joe Thornton, Captain of the San Jose Sharks :lol:
Iktomi

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:00 am

The fellow came by to test shoot the bow night before last. I told him to bring his arrows to get a true chrono of his 26" draw at his arrow weight. Ill preface this by saying I think he shoots a ridiculously low arra weight considering the draw weight he likes, but he is a speed freak and couldn't get a bow even over 60 lb to break 170fps at his draw. His arras weigh 450 gr... Here is a pic of the chrono at 7.5 gpp at 26" draw

http://pbckt.com/p1.uTCpLs

I said oh hell let me shoot it as I draw bout 28.5 and here's my chrono pic both after 5 shots and all shots he and I made were +/-2 fps

http://pbckt.com/p1.uTCIyZ

Bottom line, he needs heavier areas, I warned him about longevity of the bow at such low arra weights. Hopefully I can talk him into 500+ grains, at only a 26" draw I am not too concerned tho... Should I be? I would think a dude with a longer draw would put a lot bigger strain than a shorter draw even with the same gpp ratios

Dave
arrowlauncherdj

Re: Bloodwood and curly maple bow, friend test shot new pics

Postby Crooked Stic » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:29 pm

I don't think I would waranty it with any less than 8gpp.
Crooked Stic

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:37 pm

I agree Mike, I had a discussion today with him about it and he's gonna go with some new shafts that come out bout 8.3 gpp. He ought to get close to 190 out of it even with his short draw. Still too dang light IMO but better. What I love tho is its quiet as a mouse fart now even with crazy light shafts. With near 10gpp u can't hear jack. I believe that's the reduced pad angle and inc preload. Really proud of this one.

Dave
arrowlauncherdj

Postby Crooked Stic » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:52 pm

I have never chronoed the swap bow but I told you it hit as hard as any I have. That couple of degrees has increased your power stroke seems like to the good.
Crooked Stic

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery