Skip to content

My first attempt at a curvy longbow

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

My first attempt at a curvy longbow

Postby Chemsolder » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:06 pm

So I thought I would take a shot at a curvy longbow and started making the form and shaping the riser tonight. The curves may be a bit extreme, but nothing ventured nothing gained... :D The form has 2 inches of deflex and 2 and 3/4" of reflex. Oh and it's 48" long. yeah this one is not for me but my ten year old. Image
Last edited by Chemsolder on Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chemsolder

Re: My first attempt at a curvy longbow *update* photos to c

Postby Chemsolder » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:46 am

ImageImage

So lessons from building your first curvy bow:

1 Laminations go everywhere when gluing up especially when bending them.
2 it has curves therefore if you shape the riser like you do one of your flat ones you may shape part of the limbs too... :oops:
3 Trapping looks easier than it is especially when it is made necessary by number 2
4 fiberglass can hide many errors in a core wood but stranded bamboo sucks with thin fiberglass and in general as well
5 UL glass is not as nice as ULS and I now know the difference between them and why I like ULS less splinters
6 even with these lessons I have a curved kids bow that is 48" and I can overdraw it to 28" without breaking anything tops out just north of 20lbs on my fishing scale...It has a nasty scratch from a disk sander on the belly of the lower limb it is worse in person than the picture(see 2 above) and still didn't break.... :shock: and all these lessons for a strip and a 1/3 of 030glass a piece of bamboo flooring and a scrap of walnut...guessing that and glue is all less than $25
Chemsolder

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery