Skip to content

A prototyping tool i built.

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Re: A prototyping tool i built.

Postby Kirkll » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:31 pm

Jim Casto Jr wrote:
Mann wrote:... As far as your greasy machinist comment, well you can kiss this greasy old machinists ass.
If the guy came to buy a bow I am betting he passed, I know I would have.

:lol:

Ain't this place grand. :mrgreen:

FOFLMAO!!!!! Too funny.... btw.... you are right, he didn't buy a bow. said something about it feeling funny shooting with rubber gloves on.... :lol: :lol:

Jim, i know you were just trying to be helpful. i do appreciate it.... of course i oil up all the working parts on my machine. i'll give that stuff a try with a spray bottle next time and get the right cutters..... i truely appreciate what you guys can do with those machines. its a whole different trade i'm lacking in experience in......

what's your recommendation on these little slide scales for accuracy? if i were to up grade to a different DRO system, what would you recommend that is relatively cost effective with good accracy?
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby SteveJ » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:58 pm

4nolz wrote:My earlier post refers to tip overlays on the back of the bow around the string grooves.

Both of my earlier post were refering to "belly" tip overlays, not back tip overlays. Dang, if I thought that back tip overlays affected stiffness, someone needs to pull my bowyer journeyman license from me....and the second post, last statement, was full of sarcasm and just to razz you Mike...hehe :P

Parts of me want to do some tip wedges on these next limbs, due to the first feeling noodly...BUT it's hard to tell since I missed my draw weight really really bad.
"Two have sacrificed for you - Jesus and the US soldier."

Steve in the shop
SteveJ

Postby 4nolz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:18 pm

I see said the blind man to the deaf man on the telephone :D
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby MOUNTER » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:18 pm

Blind men, deaf men, Greasy machinists, and things feeling noodily... What the hell were we talkin about anyway? :? :P Pretty soon you'll be talkin about fishy smellin taxidermist. ;) :lol: Very cool jig there Kirk.. I can see where it will be very useful for proto-typing a new set-up...
MOUNTER

Postby Kirkll » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:07 am

So THAT'S what that smell is.... :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for clearing that up mounter...
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Mann » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:21 pm

Kirk
I can not really say anything about the setup you have. I have zero experience with that type.
By the way you describe it, I think you may be starting to get some backlash in your lead screw and nut. If you have a owners manual it may have an adjustment.Some machines do, some don't
My recommendation on a upgrade would be to get a 2 axis system that uses glass scales, the draw back is cost. They typically will run $1,200. to $1,500. I did look on ebay and you can get a no name knockoff for around $400 but that would make me nervous because of warranty problems. If you keep watch on the auction sites you could probably catch a brand name like Sony, Mitutoyo , Anilam, Acurite or Newell used for $300-$400 You will need to know your longitudinal and cross travel lengths
I would guess yours is about a 10 x 24 one more thing, .0005 will be plenty close on the resolution you can get them in .0002 but you won't need it.
Mann

Postby Crooked Stic » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:25 pm

Geesh .0005 that is smaller than an RCH aint it :?:
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Kirkll » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:28 pm

Thanks Jim, I'll check out the manual for adjustment. I played with it tonight and the scales are holding true if i take the backlash or slop into consideration. What type of lubricant do you recommend in the way & lead screw? good old WD 40 gets gummy when you add saw dust. I'd like to clean her up and use the right lube on it. She's getting quite a bit of use now.... Thanks.... Kirk

btw.... i'd be satisfied with + or - .001 on the DRO for what i'm using it for.....
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Kirkll

Postby Mann » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:06 am

They make what is actually called "Way oil" But usually it comes in a 5 gallon bucket. And is expensive.
Air tool oil is really the same thing which is really nothing more than SAE 20 and you can get it at about any auto parts store in quart bottles.

As for the resolution if you want the ability to work +/_ .001 your readout needs to be .0005 all that means is that is how close it reads, not positions.

a RCH usually is .0025 so yes it is smaller. ;) :D
True blond is usually a little finer. :)
Young toolmakers are doing continual research on this but the results have seemed to remain constant for the last 30 years anyway.
Mann

Postby topcamp » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:48 am

True blond is usually a little finer.

than an rch........... :?: :o not a chance in hell ..............it had to be a bleached out rch............all of this of course from an old established research lab with great record keeping.............. :roll: ;) :lol: :lol:
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery