Skip to content

A prototyping tool i built.

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Re: A prototyping tool i built.

Postby SteveJ » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:25 am

Kirk - maybe I overlooked it, but are you doing tip wedges along with the tip overlays? Not to ask a stupid question here... but stupid is stupid does..hehe What's the difference between just adding thickness to your tip wedge vs throwing on a tip overlay?? Yea, they look nice when they're faded in good...but what I mean - is there a difference between stiffness that comes from tip wedges sandwiched between the lams that are between the glass vs adding a veneer that's on the tip belly of the glass. **I love the limb look - my last build was suppose to be a strait-limb profile with the static tip... I cut my tips down about an 1" trying to gain some lbs.... yea, that didn't work on my light-weight-missted the weight recurve..hehe**

I'll never compare my work to you guys because you all have more experience in the tip of your pinky than I do; but a few years back I built a longbow with a reverse tapers and I built the same longbow (same materials minus the clear glass - different makes I believe) using tip wedges with the same taper. The bows came out the same weight, same stiffness/bend (to the human eye) and shot the same other than the second bow had vertical streaks in glass (cheap Canadian crap from what I was told). I never chrono'd the two bows when I had them.

Anyways, not trying to dig rabbit holes here, just trying to get educated from you old farts... I mean you old bowyers... I mean you "Wise" bowyers.... :D
"Two have sacrificed for you - Jesus and the US soldier."

Steve in the shop
SteveJ

Postby 4nolz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:45 am

tip overlays dont affect the bending of the limbs wedges do.

Kirk-you finally overthinked something and had an awesome idea! Kudos! (seriously very nice)
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby Kirkll » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:01 pm

here is the riser without the pads attached. 14" -22" riser lengths or 13" -21" if i nip the ends...

http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Mann » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:19 pm

Seriously, If you are unaware, you need to oil the ways on any mill occasionally.
If you don't, you won't be machining anything.

I didn't intend to imply that you needed to use a flood system a spray bottle used sparingly would work fine.
The second link is for special aluminum cutting endmills that are currently on sale that can be used with or without coolant.
I have built a few wood bows, all I have ever done was wipe the table and vise down with some acetone and made sure to lay the wood on a clean dry surface and I have had no issues.
As far as your greasy machinist comment, well you can kiss this greasy old machinists ass.
If the guy came to buy a bow I am betting he passed, I know I would have.
Mann

Postby SteveJ » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:25 pm

Yea..I got it, a veneer on the belly tip won't effect the bend/stiffness... but I was confused because of the other post from Kirk where someone called it an exterior tip wedge....MY bad

*Note to self - only wood between wood or glass lams only effects stiffness*
"Two have sacrificed for you - Jesus and the US soldier."

Steve in the shop
SteveJ

Postby 4nolz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:23 pm

Wood on the belly over the glass definitely does stiffen the tips
4nolz

Postby 4nolz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:26 pm

My earlier post refers to tip overlays on the back of the bow around the string grooves.
4nolz

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:56 pm

Mann wrote:... As far as your greasy machinist comment, well you can kiss this greasy old machinists ass.
If the guy came to buy a bow I am betting he passed, I know I would have.

:lol:

Ain't this place grand. :mrgreen:
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Kirkll » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:18 pm

4nolz wrote:tip overlays dont affect the bending of the limbs wedges do.

Kirk-you finally overthinked something and had an awesome idea! Kudos! (seriously very nice)

It happens occasionally bro.... blind squirrels and such... :D

But actually Mike i'm talking about the belly overlays on the tips, not the string goroove overlays... if you use .040 to .050 of Bocote, or bubbinga or Ipe and come clear down the curl it gives me a semi static recurve effect on most draw weights. the lower the draw weight the more static it becomes.
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Kenro » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:21 pm

Kirkll wrote:[ ... eventually i'm going to just give the carbon crap up completely. The small gains you get isn't even worth the head aches more often than not..... if you got your shit together, you can build these glass bows just as fast and stable as the carbon bows anyway. :roll:

:lol: :lol: Hey I remember someone telling you that a long time ago.......now who was that....? :P

But yeah same here, as soon as Ive used up the rest of what I got for the long bows and its gone.....ITS GONE!!!!
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery