Skip to content

Mesquite for Lams?????????????????

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Mesquite for Lams?????????????????

Postby TxSnoman » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:25 am

I drug a good sized piece of mesquite out of the desert the other day and rough cut it down, I was wondering any thoughts on using it for lams? Pros and cons perhaps?
"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." - Thomas Jefferson
TxSnoman

Re: Mesquite for Lams?????????????????

Postby Kirkll » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:44 am

Haven't a clue how it would work for lams, but if the bow blows up you can always use the pieces in your smoker, or barbeque. :lol:

Once you get it cut up I'd like to see some pics of this stuff. if its purdy, I'll swap you some bamboo or something else for some if you'd like. I would imagine the stuff would be pretty brittle. Kirk
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Crooked Stic » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:00 am

I am thinking brittle to. If it has good grain it might work for veneers.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Iktomi » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:48 pm

I think sandwiched between glass it would work. I made a sinew backed NDN shorty out of a piece years ago. Good shooter too. It's fairly dense though, and might make for a slugbow in a longer glass laminate. I agree with CS, that it might be better for veneers.
"I’d have my cock out if I scored four goals. I’d have my cock out, stroking it."

Joe Thornton, Captain of the San Jose Sharks :lol:
Iktomi

Postby Kirkll » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:54 am

I've been playing around using a very brittle nature wood dead center between two bamboo tapers in the core and getting some pretty snappy limbs out of them..... Great place to use wenge or paduke.

Isn't mesquite a very twisted grain type wood?... i played with some madrone before which is really a spiral twist wood, and had lams twist up 180 degrees drying them. ended up not using them in a bow at all. between the mass weight and the twist in the lams it looked like a waste of time and glass.
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Iktomi » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:40 am

Kirkll wrote:I've been playing around using a very brittle nature wood dead center between two bamboo tapers in the core and getting some pretty snappy limbs out of them..... Great place to use wenge or paduke.

Isn't mesquite a very twisted grain type wood?... i played with some madrone before which is really a spiral twist wood, and had lams twist up 180 degrees drying them. ended up not using them in a bow at all. between the mass weight and the twist in the lams it looked like a waste of time and glass.

It's one of those woods that likes to move around alot when it dries, and getting a clear and straight enough piece to mill into lams would be a challenge, I'd think. Madrone is pretty stuff too, a friend of mine who's a sawyer that specializes in local native hardwoods tells me that madrone is about the most contrary wood he's worked with...a real bitch to dry without it moving around like a nest of snakes or checking all to hell. He says he loses about 60 to 70% in the drying. The stuff that does come out good he gets top dollar for though.
"I’d have my cock out if I scored four goals. I’d have my cock out, stroking it."

Joe Thornton, Captain of the San Jose Sharks :lol:
Iktomi

Postby TxSnoman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:14 pm

Here are some pics of the mesquite I have; some is still green, so I am having to seal it and let it cure, noticed some very minor checking, so I didn't want to risk it. More pics to follow.
Attachments
New mesquite 1.JPG
New mesquite 1.JPG (35.68 KiB) Viewed 3499 times
mesquite 1.JPG
mesquite 1.JPG (42.15 KiB) Viewed 3499 times
mesquite 2.JPG
mesquite 2.JPG (41.96 KiB) Viewed 3499 times
TxSnoman

Postby TxSnoman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:17 pm

Here is some more pics
Attachments
new mesquite.JPG
new mesquite.JPG (36.97 KiB) Viewed 3497 times
mesquite 3.JPG
mesquite 3.JPG (35.93 KiB) Viewed 3497 times
mesquite.jpg
mesquite.jpg (6.93 KiB) Viewed 3497 times
TxSnoman

Postby TxSnoman » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:43 pm

Here are some additional pics of some of the rest of the mesquite that I pulled out of the desert. Some real nice figuring, although a beetle bored its way through most of one of the best pieces. Was able to pull some nice lams out of the wood. Tell me what you guys think! The third pic is of the spalted maple that I am thinking of using, pretty stuff but not sure how it will hold up to the stress.
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (4.49 KiB) Viewed 3435 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (3.22 KiB) Viewed 3435 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (3.98 KiB) Viewed 3435 times
TxSnoman

Postby TxSnoman » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:45 pm

So i finally got some solid mesquite from west texas ( 10"-12" in diameter). I'm going to mill it out, and if your offer still stands Kirk, I'll send you some. Just took a 7' piece over to Trux and we were talking, I was showing him my progress on my spalted maple/ mesquite veneers, and out of the blue, he gives me one of his buffalo shorty's that he hasn't finished! Said he got in a hurry and wasn't gonna sell it to a customer due to some minor imperfections and thought it would make a great piece for me to practice on! beautiful osage and bubinga? I think! I've got to say, Never in a million years would I have expected that! Trux is the real deal, happy to bend over backwards and help a guy just starting out. Thanks again trux! on that note, here are some pics of my veneers and the riser that I have worked up so far. ya'll let me know what you think!
Attachments
photo 3(1).JPG
photo 3(1).JPG (118.09 KiB) Viewed 2977 times
photo 2(1).JPG
photo 2(1).JPG (142.78 KiB) Viewed 2977 times
photo 1(1).JPG
photo 1(1).JPG (139.38 KiB) Viewed 2977 times
Last edited by TxSnoman on Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TxSnoman

Next

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery