Skip to content

new riser-more glass, less height..

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Re: new riser-more glass, less height..

Postby Robertfishes » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:08 pm

looks like I'm glueing up tomorrow night. Got everything ready to go, dry run went well .I ended up with both Bubinga and East Indian Rosewood veneers on the bench..Going with the E.I. Rosewood for this build, Amberboo tapers,parallel and power lam.
Robertfishes

Postby Robertfishes » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:11 pm

got it glued and cooked last night, got home from work and worked on it some..pulled off belly tape and snapped a couple of pics before I shaped limbs on the beltsander..used a 36 grit belt, man that 36 grit really eats glass faster than a 50 grit.. gonna be shooting this one next week sometime.pic is of same part of limb one in sun, the darker picture is in indirect sun ..I am shooting for 44 - 48 lbs @ 28" on this one. I am using my old "Modified" Binghams 58" recurve form Image Image
Robertfishes

Postby Crooked Stic » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:57 pm

I like those limbs. Man that 36 grit scares me. If you sneeze wrong it will screw you up in a heartbeat. 40 is about as coarse as I use for anything.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Robertfishes » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:19 pm

Ya,I was suprised how fast the 36 grit ground down the glass.. I stopped 1/8" short of lines and put a 80 grit belt on and took it on down to the line. I filed some shallow string grooves in and got a string on it, 1/16" difference in tiller and 50 @ 28" on my scale, tips are 11/16 wide at string grooves, I should have time to work on it tomorrow night..
Robertfishes

Postby Kirkll » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:42 pm

You know what I've been doing for quite some time now is razor knifing the tape and grinding to it, instead of just marking it.....it's a lot cleaner and the tape doesn't curl up on you. i do the same with 36 grit only i bring it to about 1/16th and finish with 60 or 80.

Where the 36 grit rules is shaping risers out of ebony or other really dense hardwoods. i got some 36 grit spindles for my spindle sander that work wonders. the only bad part is you gotta go over it again with 60 and 80 before trying to sand it out with 120/220. if ya don't you end up with serious sanding marks you don't see till you seal it. i'm getting to where i use a lot of rattle can poly when i'm shaping and sanding out risers. besides filling grain slots it shows and cross grain scratches or wiggles instantly.
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Robertfishes » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:05 pm

almost done with this one, sprayed it with some shellac and found a couple of spots that need some more light sanding.. Image
Robertfishes

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:11 pm

Very slick, I like that one a lot
arrowlauncherdj

Postby Kirkll » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:56 am

Ya gotta love that shellac as a sanding sealer, i know i sure do....

but there are some warnings about using it as a base coat under certain products. Check it out bro... I think it may be polyurethane.

Cool looking bow there. :D
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Crooked Stic » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:53 am

I tried using the shellac under Tbird once and it bubbled up on me. Did not make sence though both are lacquer based.
Anyhow that bow is looking good.
Most of the finishes we use can be thier own filler put on thick and sanded to the wood. Just a bitch to sand :(
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Robertfishes » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:10 am

I'm still using minwax Spar urethane in a shaker can for final finish. I used the Bullseye Shellac under the Spar urethane once and it worked really good. At some point I will be set up for Krystal, T-Bird or something better than the Spar.
Robertfishes

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery