Skip to content

Traditional Crossbow - BP Hybrid Tiller

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Re: Traditional Crossbow - BP Hybrid Tiller

Postby Dan » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:51 pm

Keep it coming Teagus I can't wait to see one assembled.
Dan

Postby Kirkll » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:58 am

teagus wrote:Just talked to the drill bit supplier. The problem is the brad point and the bushing. They said the high spiral is the way to go but the brad point will always want to snag in the bushing. I can send them back and they will exchange them. W.I. Fuller Co. in R.I. Great service.

Brad tip bits are not the way to go.....If you just use high speed drill bits, you can sharpen them yourself to the desired angle for what you are doing and get nice clean cuts. once you get the hang of it you can sharpen them on a belt sander with 120 grit in about 15 seconds.
google drill bit sharpening bro... its really simple stuff and will save you a ton of money on bits.
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby teagus » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:37 pm

Now for the new process for making the nut pocket and internal 1/4" registration holes. Because the centerboard will be cut apart, two alignment (or registration) pins are needed front and back. These are for the dowel glue pins I showed earlier. Again, this step can be laid out without the fancy tooling I had made.

Remove the two 2" external pins. Re-pin the centerboard and one side board with 1 1/4" pins.

This pic is of the pocket alignment hooby-dooby. :roll:

Insert pin on bottom of hooby-dooby into nut axle hole.

Locate the internal hole drill template over the alignment hooby-dooby.

Note reversing clamp set-up.

Back view of one of the locating pins for top of tiller.

After snugging up the two clamps, remove the hooby-dooby and head for the drill press.

teagus

Postby teagus » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:56 pm

1 1/2" forstner bit.

Drill through 1/2" centerboard and 1/4" into the side board. Remember, the nut is 1" wide. You do not want side to side slop in the finished pocket. You can come back and kiss the 1/4" pocket when done if nut is too snug and not free spinning.

Now I am drilling the four 1/4" dowel holes. Using a collar on the bit. Through the center board and 1/4" into the side board for the 1" glue dowels.

One side done.

Remove pins. Pin the drilled centerboard to the opposite side board and drill the other side. I will just show pics now.

This step is finished. Hang in there Trux :oops:
teagus

Postby teagus » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:16 pm

Side pocket time. First batch of crossbows had hand carved pockets. Screw that. I am 61. Running out of time.

Reversible router template and reversible pocket locator block.

Two Porter Cable routers. One with hog" bit. The other with small "outline" bit.

Who in their right mind would screw up a perfectly good maple top bench? I would. It was free.

teagus

Postby teagus » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Clamp the nose. (front)

Clamp the rear.

Place locator block in nut axle hole.

Clamp template over block.

Remove block.

teagus

Postby teagus » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:38 pm

Hog out the pocket. (About 30 sec.) :lol:

Run the "trim" bit into the corners.

Flip the tiller for the other side. Clamp the nose where the rear was but against the stop.

Reverse the pin on the locator block.

And finish this side.

Pockets done.
teagus

Postby teagus » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:56 pm

So far , I have a set of prototype side plates. They fit too well. I have to talk to the machine shop about taking of .010" off around the outside.

Right side showing the large hole for the safety. Shop said the have five safetys machined and welded up. Another bill about to come due. :(

The shop as finished this fixture to hold the nut axle in place to tig weld it to the left side plate. Fixture holds the axle perpendicular and heat sinks.

Axle in the fixture.

Side plate on pin.

So far, I have not trashed Trux's bow.

Got to put a little time in on finishing bows. I have a hundred screws for the side plates due in Thursday. Got to get to the machine shop for the safetys. Shop wants to start tooling to press the brass bolt keepers. Yikes. I need to return the bradpoints.... Happy New Year Pirates.. :D

teagus

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery