Skip to content

First "public" Firefly review.

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

First "public" Firefly review.

Postby PAarcher » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:35 pm

PAarcher

Re: First "public" Firefly review.

Postby PAarcher » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:36 pm

For those that might be banned or blocked;

A few weeks ago I received a prototype for a new aluminum riser that should be coming out for general sale in the very near future. (yes, I paid for the riser and the limbs. They were not given to me)

It is made by TAC Archery. It is a 19" aluminum riser made of 7075 alloy. (same alloy used for M16/M4 rifles) It is designed to accept ILF limbs and is fully adjustable for tiller and draw weight. All adjustments can then be locked in place so when it's all set up to shoot you don't have to monkey with it again. This one is finished in black powdercoat.

The grip is very small and is integral with the riser. It is patterned after the grips found on competition compound bows. It doesn't look like it but it is actually quite comfortable and it's design makes it much more difficult to torque than more conventional grips. More conventional grips can be fitted in place if you should want to.

The riser has 2 3/4" holes machined in place to accept those little rubber/brass harmonic dampeners. I've shot it with and without them and they really don't do much. The bow doesn't need them but the do look pretty neat and make the compound shooters raise an eyebrow! :)

The shelf is contoured and relieved for good clearance when shooting off the shelf. This riser is rather unique in that it has 2 plunger holes. 1 is in the traditional place in the site window for using an elevated rest and plunger combination. The second is right down by the shelf. This allows you to shoot off the shelf and use a plunger at the same time to fine tune your arrows. I really like this feature!

The balance point is right over the bow hand at the shelf. The bow is very quick handling and maneuverable. It is totally dead in the hand and has no hand shock. I can release the string with an open grip and the bow will just sit there.

I have a set of medium Tradtech ExtremeBF ILF limbs on my riser. (these are cosmetically altered Samick ExtremeBF competion limbs) They are Samick's top of the line limbs and are a combination of carbon, syntatic foam and bakelite. These are rated for 50# on a 17" riser. I am able to get 51# fully cranked down on this 19" riser. I have about 5# worth of adjustment to work with. I've shot a bunch of ILF limbs and these are the best of the best. What sets them apart is their extreme quietness. Other limbs offer similar shooting qualities but are not nearly as quiet. I tried a thin, unpadded D97 string and dropped the brace height way down to below 7" and it was still quiet. I don't know what makes them this quiet as most carbon limbs I've shot have been difficult to quiet down. Not impossible, but difficult. Whatever Samick did to these thing they need to do it to the rest of their limbs! They are very, very smooth, have incredible lateral stability (able to resist string torque) and are darn fast! All that combined with their quietness makes them a fantastic choice for any ILF compatible bow.

I really, really like this bow. With medium limbs it is 62". Shorts would make for a 60" bow and longs would make it 64". 62" suits me just fine. Like I said before, it is an extremely stable bow to shoot. I love the way the shelf is set up and the grip is tremendous. And the quietness is nothing short of phenomenal. It is the quietest recurve I've ever owned. Part of this is the limbs. I've tried other limbs on the riser and while it is still a joy to shoot the noise level does rise a bit.

I've owned a DAS, still own a Quinn Stallion, owned a Gamemaster and shot a Titan. This little Firefly is fast becoming a favorite. ( I still love my Quinn!) I think the biggest thing for me with this bow is the grip. It has the same shooting qualities of the DAS and Titan but for me the grip is much better and that makes all the difference when shooting. It should also give shooters with longer draw lengths a bit more latitude in limb adjustment over the 17" risers.

PAarcher

Postby PAarcher » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:40 pm

Vermonster13 told me that I could talk about the Firefly all I wanted to over there but specific mention of the POA site or Aaron would be deleted. Bullshit, but it is what it is. At least I can discuss the bow and get the word out.
Did I mention that I REALLY like this bow Aaron?
PAarcher

Postby Hank » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:06 pm

Looks awsome and a nice write up !
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby Yohon » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:27 am

Good job Mike!!! Did you end up staying with the springy in the lower hole for a hunting rig?
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Gino Bruno » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:14 am

great review mike!
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby PAarcher » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:22 am

Actually no Yohon. I am currently shooting off the shelf.
PAarcher

Postby PAarcher » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:05 pm

They fucking deleted it!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
PAarcher

Postby Feral Donkey » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:30 pm

I saw this just now. Awesome review! I expected that to happen. I just saw it's deleted. Someone obviously still thinks I'm stepping on his toes.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Feral Donkey » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:13 pm

My friend, Chad was showing his Firefly to a guy we used to work with who I shoot winter leagues with. He asked Chad why I called it the "Firefly". Chad said "I think he just looked outside and that was the first thing he saw and decided to call it that. Good thing he didn't see 2 racoons screwing!" :lol:
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery