[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4685: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4687: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4689: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
Pirates Of Archery • View topic - First three piece bow! 2nd Gen starts on pg 13

Skip to content

First three piece bow! 2nd Gen starts on pg 13

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Re: First three piece bow! OPINIONS NEEDED!

Postby Dave Beeler » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:48 pm

Yeah, don't want to see nothin that would put pressure on the limb bolts, and inserts, I would rather that riser flex a bit, than see limb bolts, and or limbs come flying apart. Like you said Mike, it would be better, and simpler to just put a pad in between the limb, and riser, thanks man, I was just wondern.
Dave Beeler

Postby Sixby » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:04 pm

My experience has been that one bolt is pleanty and if you set the bolt an inch and a half from the end of the riser and the wedges are stiff enough that you will not get gap. The amount of gap that you have will disappear though if you use a rubber pad. I use tool box wafflle liner when I need it. It also dampens any vibrations that you may have.You could actually cut half to 3/4 in off the ends of the riser as far back as the bolts are.
Sixby

Postby Sixby » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:15 pm

Dave in answer to your question this is the only way I have found that perfectly lines up riser and limbs dead center. Drill the holes in the limbs . All three. Just drill the bolt hole in the riser. Mount the limbs and screw down tight String the bow limbs center line and adjust the limbs until the string dead centers the bolts. Carefully do this and make sure there are no string hangups. Then drill through the limbs for your pilot pins into the riser. Now take the limbs off. Glue the pins in and immediately set the limb back on and tighten up. This will dead center the string of the bow to both limbs and riser perfectly. If you do one with jig alone I would be willing to bet that if you string the limbs and bolts that in a huge percentage of the time that they will not line up. In my opinion. Just an opinion its doing this kind of thing that makes the difference between mediocre or at best inconsistant shooting bows and bows that end up being Dream shooters.
Sixby

Postby BK in TEXAS » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:49 pm

Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby Sixby » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:32 pm

BK,. Too easy to break a limb if you brace the bow. Also the string is up too high to tell if its perfect or not. I just clamp a string on the unbraced limb. Dead Center and use a little spring clamp. Pull it tight and them just move the limbs around until the string is dead center over both bolts. Then drill through the holes into the riser for your pins. I do not cut notches or brace the bow until I have pinned the limbs. I mic both limbs and if one is a bit thicker I put it on the bottom LOL. I get bottom and top right about 50 percent of the time . Trick . I leave limbs a bit heavy when I grind the side tapers and make my bottom limb heavier after I have the limbs on. then tiller and set poundage from there.
Sixby

Postby Apex Predator » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:14 am

Mike, I don't think this riser is flexing any. Right now it's only had minimal shaping. No sight window or anything! I'm gonna glue something on the limb pad, and see what happens. I'll drill like Sixby suggests next time! :) I think I'm liking two limb bolts next time, as well. I appreciate the help guys.
Apex Predator

Postby 4nolz » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:16 am

there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby 4nolz » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:05 pm

Marty-let me say "I dunno"-just trying to toss some possibilities out there. You are right there should be no way that big riser block is flexing at all.
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Re: First three piece bow! Prototype development.

Postby angelstaff » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:58 pm

angelstaff

Postby Kenro » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:38 pm

Hey Marty, I really like what you got going on there. That thing has some serious curves and lines to it. I like ALOT! I cant wait to see it all finished up! :)
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery