Skip to content

New member from across the pond...

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Re: New member from across the pond...

Postby jeffhalfrack » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:03 pm

Sweet! ,,,,tite bond III is what I use,,,,,mostly splinter prevention ,,another backing I use is that brown paper bag stuff ,,like you wrap packages with if you are doing a board bow jeffw
jeffhalfrack

Postby shinjomori » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:56 am

Wood glue for textile... I would've never guessed! Could it, maybe, work on denim? I got a pair of old jeans, and I think it could look sick with light blue worn jeans on the back. Ever used that? Or should I have to use epoxy for jeans? Brown paper sounds a lot like veneer, only thinner, but same material in essence; does that mean that you could actually glue the lams with wood glue instead of epoxy? What would be the difference between glues in relation to stiffness and poundage increase /decrease? Please forgive me for asking so much, but you just opened a can of ideas and I still have time to plan which direction to go when I get to finishing the blank you saw...
shinjomori

Postby jeffhalfrack » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:16 pm

I've used tite bond III on tri lam bows,,,works fine ,,,just remember it will soften at 140* or so,,,if you left a bow in a hot car,,,,it will mess it up!!,,you can raise the temp if you cure the bow at like a hundred degrees,,there is stuff on tite bonds web site that tells of this the jeans is kind of heavy ,,will cause the bow to be slow,burlap will work if it's thin and stretched to fit while gluing if you glue reflex deflex in you could make a snappy shooting bow! Jeffw
jeffhalfrack

Postby shinjomori » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:57 am

So silk, brown paper or burlap, waterproof wood glue. Got it :) Unfortunately, I can't glue in a r/d, since it was glued straight, but there will be other opportunities...(I'm reading the stuff on the Poor folk site you mentioned, great place, thanks for it) :B I'll stick to 'easy' for now, just to be on the safe side, since it is my first; so the goal is not to brake, and learn the tillering process, have fun doing it. Thanks, Jeff, appreciate your help.
shinjomori

New member from across the pond...

Postby shinjomori » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:36 pm

So in preparation to finish the (guess I can call it that) laminated stave, I found that I have some serious sanding ahead, so I made a jig for my little belt sander to save some 'elbow grease'. I'm guessing 40, 60 80, 120, 150, 320, 400 and 600 grit can do the job (or I stocked up badly?). 'Course, 320 and 600 I'll do by hand prior to finishing with lacquer or something... The jig is dusty 'cause I tested it (will have to add support on the sides, it doesn't hold well when you press wood against it in 90 degree position; at least it's square, so no problem there...). I hope it will do. There's more picks in the bucket, I didn't want to overdo it here...

shinjomori

Apology for jeffhalfrack

Postby shinjomori » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:46 am

jeffhalfrack wrote:I've used tite bond III on tri lam bows,,,works fine ,,,just remember it will soften at 140* or so,,,if you left a bow in a hot car,,,,it will mess it up!!,,you can raise the temp if you cure the bow at like a hundred degrees,,there is stuff on tite bonds web site that tells of this the jeans is kind of heavy ,,will cause the bow to be slow,burlap will work if it's thin and stretched to fit while gluing if you glue reflex deflex in you could make a snappy shooting bow! Jeffw

My friends turned my attention to my last reply to you, Jeffw, as being rude and dismissive. Please forgive me, I did not mean to be rude, to insult you or be disrespective in any way. Especially since you welcomed me with open arms and shared your knowledge and experience so openly with me. English is not my native language, so I don't have the finesse in expressing my self. Literal translation, as I have learned, could do damage that I hope I can remedy somehow (I will be double checking my posts with my friends from now on). I have been overly enthusiastic about all of this, and I seem to lose my self in the heat of the moment. I was finishing the beltsander jig at the time (took me 3 days tinkering), so I was trying to remember things I have to do after I finish it. Again I apologize and hope I can mend things between us somehow... And I wasn't kidding when I said you opened 'a can of ideas' - I found bamboo flooring I can cut in thin slats, and back with 1/8" oak veneer (belly too) and I plan to glue it with wood glue, and glue in the reflex as you suggested. So thank you again, and I hope there will be no hard feelings between us.
Shinjo
shinjomori

Postby MOUNTER » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:17 pm

Looks good, nice work on the sander. I'm no help with wood bows, mostly build glass bows. Good luck!

I'm sure Jeff is fine, probably just busy with work and stuff, I found nothing offensive about your post.

Welcome aboard.
MOUNTER

Postby jeffhalfrack » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:19 pm

You are fine!! There is nothing in any of your post that was offensive you are a perfect gentleman ! Nice sander! I started with a similar set up! That bambo flooding will be good in the middle of a tri-lam,,,,jeffw
jeffhalfrack

Postby shinjomori » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:18 pm

Now that is a HUGE load off my chest and heart! Things get lost in translation, words sometimes don't seem strong when they are; I guess that is the problem when you're not born into language but rather parachute in it... Back to happy :D

MOUNTER thanks, I feel welcome here. You guys created a 'campfire-deep-in-the-woods' atmosphere here, no wonder there's so much bows made when the brainstorm here is category 10!
As for the sander, thanks; I will have to do something about the dust, though, because my little shop looks like a bakery - that thing creates more dust than it takes off the wood :D
And the bows? The way I see it, it's exchanging experience, support and advice not materials used. The rest is just trial and error as in every 'by hand' work. It's people, man, people are priceless... just my two cents...

Jeff, I am so glad we are cool! You are good people, and I want to stay in your light.
Similar setup? What did you do about dust collection? I fear it's gonna be a big issue...
I'm like a kid in a candy shop, tingling, can't wait for vacation days to start... I'll have to prepare lams for the reflex one to calm down. I found the glue very similar to titebond III, so you just gave clearance for the next bow... Sorry, man, you'll be hearing a lot from me :D
shinjomori

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery