Skip to content

First attemps at bending 1 inch PVC (tight bends)

If you like to tinker with big or small projects and make new gadgets, this forum is for you. From arrow building to making a new kind of rest to replacing the cables and strings off your compound, here's a place where you can find like-minded people to discuss your ideas.

First attemps at bending 1 inch PVC (tight bends)

Postby DIY_guy » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:53 am

In the future there may be some PVC projects coming up that would involve bending 1 inch Schedule 40. This was the first attempt at making some pretty sharp bends. (used a piece of 3 in Sch 40 as the bending mandrel.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNa8qVJzK5U
The joy is in the planing and doing.
DIY_guy

Re: First attemps at bending 1 inch PVC (tight bends)

Postby jeffhalfrack » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:09 pm

Well I been a plumber for years,,,,unless you packed that with sand,,,,,I'd have to say you just pulled off a near impossible bend! :shock: as always I'm impressed,,,,I have got to learn how you did that!! Thanks JeffW
jeffhalfrack

Postby DIY_guy » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:19 pm

I inserted a coil extension spring into one of the pipes, heated it and bent it around a piece of 4 inch PVC. The spring prevents kinking of the pipe being bent. The extension spring has hooks on the end that I tied a rope to so I could pull the spring out of the pipe when it cooled.

The coil version was filled with sand and the ends capped and heated and wrapped around the same piece of 3 inch PVC.

For 45 and 90 degree bends, the spring is the better and easier option. for bending a coil the sand is the better option.

If I need to make a bend in a long piece where the bend is far from the end, I would press a foam plug in from one end with a ram rod and then fill with sand and then another foam plug rammed in from the other end so I would have sand only in the bend area. I would make the bend and when cooled, pour acetone into the pipe to dissolve the foam plug and then pour the sand out of the pipe.
The joy is in the planing and doing.
DIY_guy

Postby jeffhalfrack » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:38 pm

Sweet! Handy stuff thanks JeffW
jeffhalfrack

Return to Board index

Return to The Tinker's corner