Skip to content

Wooden arrows... a build along.

If you like to tinker with big or small projects and make new gadgets, this forum is for you. From arrow building to making a new kind of rest to replacing the cables and strings off your compound, here's a place where you can find like-minded people to discuss your ideas.

Re: Wooden arrows... a build along.

Postby Stykshooter » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:39 pm

Now it is time to fletch the arrows. Like I told you earlier, I use all Bohning products to prep my arrows so I use Bohning glue to attach the feathers. I usually use Bohning Fletch Tite Platinum and I have never had a feather fall off. It makes a great bond to the dipping/sealing products and I have to cut the feathers from the shaft.

Feathers... the big three suppliers are AMG, Gateway and Trueflight. I have never gotten a bad feather from a bag of Trueflights. I like to shoot shield cuts and I like the shape of theirs a little more than Gateway and I think they may be a little more durable. I have used a lot of AMG feathers and have had no problem with them either. They have some of the brightest colors out there, and are a little cheaper. When it comes to the fake natural barred feathers, I think that the Trueflight looks a lot more realistic than the others. I make a lot of arrows and usually when I find them on sale somewhere, I stock up, regardless of manufacturer. Bear Paw has recently been putting some feathers out on the market but I haven't tried any of them yet. In the last year or so I have been using a lot of real natural barred turkey feathers that I have had processed by Magnus. He makes one of the best looking feathers that I have ever seen and will also dye them for you. I save mine, my son's and my friend's turkey wings in the spring and ship them to him to process. I sent him the wings from 13 different turkeys last year.

As far as right wing vs. left wing and parabolic vs. shield.... I don't think that it makes any difference at all. You just have to make sure that all of the feathers match, ie, from the same manufacturer, have the same cut and same wing. I like to shoot shield cut feathers basically because I think they look better. I only shoot left wing feathers. Several decades ago I read somewhere that a right handed shooter should shoot left wing feathers as the rotation of the arrow gave you better flight. That thought stuck in my feeble mind and everything I have and all of my fletching tools are set up for left wing feathers.

Fletching jigs.... Bitzenberger. Period. I know a lot of guys say they can get as good of an arrow from a Bohning or a Grayling or Arizonia or Jo Jan fletcher, etc. I have messed with them all and there is none easier to use or that turns out a better arrow than a Bitzenberger. I have three of them and my sons each have one. Two of mine were bought back in the early 80's and have fletched I have no idea how many arrows. They still work great

There is a lot of debate as to whether four fletch works better than three fletch, 4" vs. 5" etc. A couple of years ago I set one of my Titans up with Carbon Express shafts. It would shoot a bare shaft in the center of the ten ring at 20 yards. I took several dozen shafts and fletched up three of them with different fletching patterns. I had three that had 4" four fletch, three that had 5" three fletch, 5" four fletch, 4" three fletch, 5 1/2" high back three fletch, 3" four fletch. All of the more common fletching patterns and I fletched them different colors so I could easily see which were which. I shot almost every day for a full month and took a note book out with me, recording the results out to 40 yards. The short and sweet version is that more and higher fletching gives you stabilization, but you trade off a lot in trajectory. Sometimes as much at 24" at 40 yards. the bottom line at the end of all of that shooting was the realization that 4" four fletch and 5" three fletch were the best compromise between stabilization and trajectory, and there doesn't seem to be one bit of difference between the two. Shoot what you prefer. I came to the conclusion that whoever the old guys were that settled on 5" three fletch arrows being a standard a 100 years ago, were pretty smart dudes. That is what I shoot today.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Stykshooter » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:05 pm

The finished product. My personal hunting arrows for this fall. 65-70 SureWood Douglas Firs, stained, dipped and crested and then fletched up with a yellow natural barred cock feather and two natural barred hen feather. Snuffer, of course, on the down range end.

I usually make up 18 matched arrows for each fall season. I hope to run 10-12 of them through deer and bear. I spend a lot of time making up pretty arrows, but I don't get too attached to any of them. I go through at least two dozen arrows each year. I hunt a lot, shoot a lot and like roving/stump shooting. I take a lot of stupid shots at things and then also take good shots at stupid things. Don't ever bet me that I can't hit that, whatever, out there at 80-90 yards 'cause then there is only the one way to find out!

Making wooden arrows, like a lot of things in this sport, is addictive. They are fun to make, fun to shoot and there is a real sense of satisfaction when you walk up to that deer that you have shot with a woddie that you built from scratch yourself.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Stykshooter » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:53 pm

I usually shoot plain-jane arrows. If you ever see some way-cool decked-out painted-up arrows in my quiver....I didn't make them. :oops: Most of you can guess who did. ;)

Yeah but then you "customize" them and get them all coated with red sticky stuff. :D :D :D

Lostaro will they ya, one of the coolest things ever is to be on a good blood trail and come up on the last 6" or so of your wooden arrow laying in the trail. I don't know what it is about it, but that sense/feeling defines what bow hunting is all about for me.
Stykshooter

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:50 am

Thanks, Randy. That was a great thread - assuming of course that you've finished with it.

I have half a dozen arrows that Randy made and I'm here to tell you that not only do they look great, but they fly amazingly well. And they are QUIET. Shooting them out of my new Bear bow or my not quite as new Stewart, there is nothing I've ever shot that is as quiet as those things leaving the bow. By far the loudest sound you'll hear is the arrow thumping into the target.

I'm hooked on them; don't be surprised to see a bunch of carbon and aluminum arrows coming up for sale before too long. After all, as TC points out, the whole world is carbon based, so woodies are really the first incarnation of the carbon arrow. :)
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Postby Penny Banks » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:46 am

Great "Build Along" Randy. I am curious about your bands/cresting. Do you not cover it with a finish coat?
Penny Banks

Postby Stykshooter » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:09 pm

I am curious about your bands/cresting. Do you not cover it with a finish coat?

I used to do a final dip over the cap and cresting with Bohning Blue Clear. Blue Clear is actually designed to make the whites whites and the colors brighter... kind of like a Tide commercial. I did it more to protect the cresting than anything else. They call that a scuff coat.

I don't bother with it any more. I don't know if they have changed the quality of the paints over the years or what but I hardly ever get a smear on my cresting any more. If I bounce one off the top of a 3-D or something, I may slightly smear the cresting a little, but then I have a black smear from the 3-D there anyway. Originally, if I didn't put a scuff coat on over my cresting within a dozen or so shots the cresting was smeared down the side of the arrow. I learned that that didn't have anything to do with the paint or a scuff coat, it was due to having my bow improperly set up. If I am shooting arrows that are spined correctly and I get the clearance off the shelf and side plate, they never smear.
Stykshooter

Postby TommyBoy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:38 pm

I second the Surewood Shafts comment. They are the best woodies I have been able to get since the early/mid 80's. I cannot find a more consistant wood shaft out there. Good looking arrows too.

How's the rehab coming?
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken
TommyBoy

Postby Stykshooter » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:20 pm

How's the rehab coming?

I am going to the Sports Medicine center and they hooked me up with this 20 something hyper active dude that only asks me what hurts so he can better exploit it. I have to go for an hour and a half three times a week for the next six weeks. He told me that his method is a healthy (???) mix of fairly intensive cross training mixed with physical therapy. I seriously feel like I am at summer football camp.

I spend most of my waking hours thinking of ways to kill him.
Stykshooter

Postby lostaro » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:32 pm

"I spend most of my waking hours thinking of ways to kill him."

Set him on fire...put him out.....set him on fire.... put him out.....etc. etc. My favorite. ;)
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby Stykshooter » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:38 pm

Jimmy Blackmon just posted a video on the Leatherwall on how he makes wooden arrows. Another point of view. Completely different from what I do. Not better, not worse, just different.

http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/th ... CATEGORY=2
Stykshooter

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to The Tinker's corner