Skip to content

Wooden arrows... a build along.

If you like to tinker with big or small projects and make new gadgets, this forum is for you. From arrow building to making a new kind of rest to replacing the cables and strings off your compound, here's a place where you can find like-minded people to discuss your ideas.

Re: Wooden arrows... a build along.

Postby Stykshooter » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:39 pm

Something that I forgot to mention. Field points are notorious for pulling off the end of wooden arrows in targets, especially 3-D's. Part of the problem is that there is a release agent or grease inside of the field point taper. I now take a Q-tip and swap out the inside of the field point with acetone and then let it set for awhile before I try and hot melt the point on. I also have a bit for my dremel tool that I can use to rough up the inside of the field point is I want and then clean it with acetone.

You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Stykshooter » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:48 pm

Another cool thing about wooden arrows is Reparrows. Most of the time when you break a wooden arrows you break it off right behind the point. In the past you either cut it off and retapered it and hoped it was still long enough to use as a squirrel arrow. Or you gave to someone else who had a shorter draw. You could also use them for tomato stakes or as Lostaro likes to do, launch them skyward at about 45 degrees and commit their souls to the archery Gods. As I showed you, I spend a lot if time and effort... and money on my woodies. I like to keep them in service as long as possible. A couple of years ago I bought some of the Reparrows. these things are COOL! And a good way to put an otherwise worthless arrow back into service.

What you do is cut the arrow back to where you have good wood and then put another taper on the end of the shaft. Test fit the Reparrow and then use regular wood glue to glue the repair section onto the end of the arrow. Don't shove it one too hard as it is tapered to a feathered edge and you can split it.

While the glue is still wet, roll it back and forth on a table top to make sure that it is on straight. Let the glue dry for a day or so and then cut the shaft back to length again and put another taper on it. Then you just sand the junction smooth and coat with some type of finish. I usually just open the can of Super Coat and dip the end in there.

These things are tough as all get out. I have NEVER broken and arrow after putting a Reparrow footing on the end of it. I have contemplated going on and putting a 4" Reparrow on the end of my shafts before I even make them up as they end up being so tough. He makes the footings in either Cherry or Walnut and both of them can give a nice contrast to the end of an otherwise stained arrow.

These things are only about $15.00 a dozen. That means you can put that arrow back in the quiver for a little over a dollar. Here is his website...

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/Ironwood/woodbows.html
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby whump » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:39 pm

That was a good build along . I shot wood up until 2 years ago , it can be the most rewarding and frustrating experience in archery . You make some nice looking arrows bro.
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby Stykshooter » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:56 pm

I just finished up a dozen woodies for... ME!!! I wanted some classic looking arrows for one of my longbows...

classic woodies.JPG
classic woodies.JPG (136.3 KiB) Viewed 110 times
Stykshooter

Postby Yohon » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:11 am

Good lookin arras!!!!
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby superkodiak38 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:03 am

They're purty for sure, shame some critter is gonna possibly roll over and break one ;)
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to The Tinker's corner