Skip to content

The Hill Chronicles

This is a longbow discussion forum that covers everything having to do with longbows. From board bows, to primitive self bows, to modern RD longbows made with synthetic laminates, your ideas, comments, and questions, are welcome here.

Re: The Hill Chronicles

Postby AROMAKR » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:16 pm

On the subject of Craigs form. He basically uses the same form for all length bows, so a longer bow would end up with more set back than a shorter bow. A 68" bow would have about 1" of set back to it. and I have to agree with whoever said that Howard shot lots of different style handles in his lifetime. they will vary from very small grip self bows to very deep laminated bows. If someone will show me how to post photo's I will post some pic's of his personal bows.
Bob
AROMAKR

Postby Hornseeker » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:44 pm

Bob, you have to get an account to "host" your photos. http://www.photobucket.com is the best place I know of. Go there, set up an account. Its easy. You can then upload your photos very easy. If you cant figure it out, just ask me and I'll help.

You then will simply run your mouse over the photo you want from photobucket and a little drop down list will pop up....you then click on ...hmmm...one of them :( cant see it right now and cant remember, but will clear that up later tonight for ya... then you come over here and simply right click your mouse and paste the link to the thread!!

By the way Bob ,this is Ernie McKenzie, I am the guy you met at the Missoula convention that was mutual friends with Biff....

Ernie
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby JGray » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:18 am

I just finished reading through this thread and might be able to make a contribution. Don Burdett was a bowyer for Howard Hill Archery when Howard was still involved with the shop in California (I believe in the 1950's but am not certain). Don built some of Howard's personal bows and has a letter from Howard commending him on the bows he built. Don showed me that letter written and signed by Howard when I was a neighbor of his in Cave Creek, AZ between 1994-'96. I was building self bows at the time and Don continually encouraged me to build laminated bows which is what got me started down this path. I shot one of Don's Hill style bows while I was getting started building my own under Don's direction. His form was a 72" piece of 1.5" square steel tubing bent by a machine shop into a continuous circular arc with 1.5" of setback over the 72" with C-clamps for pressure. The finished bows 66"-68" have about an inch of setback. The riser on the bow that I shot was 14-1/2" long, Maple with a Walnut accent. The core on this bow had 4 lams - 3 Yew and a Maple belly lam. The limbs tapered from about 1-1/16" at the fades to 3/8" at the tips with a fairly mild trap to the belly. He typically used black glass on the back and white glass on the belly - back in the day (according to Don), white glass on the belly was considered "fancy".

Jerry
JGray

Postby Hank » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:13 am

Thanks for your input Jerry.... do you have any pictures of yours or Don's bows?
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby Shakes.602 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:09 pm

Sounds Like A Fine Project!! Got to make me a shopping list here........ 8-)
Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway!!!
Shakes.602

Location: Crawfordsville, Indiana.....Closest thing To GODS Country I Can Get!!

Postby jwillis » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:40 am

Is there an optimal width to thickness ratio for Hill style bows? I heard that English longbows should be 5/8 or something like that. Jim
My bow making blog is live at... http://www.buildyourownbow.com

Click here to see the Build Your Own Bow Facebook fan page at...http://www.facebook.com/BuildYourOwnBow
jwillis

Postby AROMAKR » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:24 pm

JGray:

I spoke with Don not long ago, he said he worked for Howard between 1968-70 as he recalled. I've been trying to find one of Don's bows for my book, do you happen to have one that I could get detailed pic's of? He told me Black on the back and white on the belly also. Any help would be appreciated.
Bob
AROMAKR

Postby JGray » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:09 pm

AROMAKR wrote:JGray:

I spoke with Don not long ago, he said he worked for Howard between 1968-70 as he recalled. I've been trying to find one of Don's bows for my book, do you happen to have one that I could get detailed pic's of? He told me Black on the back and white on the belly also. Any help would be appreciated.
Bob

Hi Bob - just saw this. I haven't had any contact with Don since 1996 and the bow he made that I shot belonged to a guy I worked with for a short period of time who was a friend of Don's oldest son, Gary. I no longer have access to that bow, however during that time period, Gary was living near Flathead Lake installing geothermal heating systems in homes. If Gary is still in the area, I'm pretty sure he has one of his Dad's bows which I'm thinking might be the best way to get one in your hands for pictures. I don't have any contact information for him, but a Google search just listed him and his wife, Andrea in the Victor/Lakeside area. It may be worth looking him up as he's not too far from you....

Jerry
JGray

Postby bob g » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:04 pm

why so short? 62 inches long hill bow and a28 inch draw would somebody explain to me how you can realize the full potential of ahoward hill bow at that bowlenght and draw lenght?
bob g

Postby Bender » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:45 pm

Why the assumption that one ISN'T realizing the "full potential" at that bow length and draw length?
Bender

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Longbowman's hideout