Skip to content

The Hill Chronicles

This is a longbow discussion forum that covers everything having to do with longbows. From board bows, to primitive self bows, to modern RD longbows made with synthetic laminates, your ideas, comments, and questions, are welcome here.

Re: The Hill Chronicles

Postby Kifaru » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:27 pm

Limb timing, and string aligment, two very important keys. Good Bamboo that has been tempered correctly, not just put into the oven at 200degrees for a couple of hours either. Shedua, and Brazilian Rosewood make for stunning risers on top of the limbs. Not all forms are perfect but they need to be. Flint
Kifaru

Postby Kirkll » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:51 pm

Hank wrote:The guy guards his sources and wood closely .... but he likes me :)

well old buddy, old pal.... see what you can do for brutha Kirk here. that's some wood i'd like to play with a bit myself. i'd love to have some lam stock as well as riser stock...even unseasoned stuff would be fine for me. i've got a little kiln going at present...Kirk
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby rwsbow » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:58 pm

Is there anywhere on the internet that the specifications of the bows Howard Hill actually USED are listed?...granted you probably wouldn't want the same weight, but those could be adjusted for the weight desired...

Just curious.....
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby JimmyFingers » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:16 pm

rwsbow wrote:Is there anywhere on the internet that the specifications of the bows Howard Hill actually USED are listed?...granted you probably wouldn't want the same weight, but those could be adjusted for the weight desired...

Just curious.....
....I've had my grubby little hands on some of Howard's personal bows...Heres what I noticed...Limbs...narrow, and thick, flat, but alot of reverse-trapping to the belly, ..Risers...HUGE!, and NOT "Dished"...There were simlarities to the modern day "Howard Hill" bows, but the new bows are different in the over-all "Look"...If You have ever looked at a Shulz bow, or a Pete George "Timberline" bow, then thats pretty much what I saw in the bows I handled...I know that I'm not saying much, but the Shulz bows that I've handled seem to be the closest thing to what Mr. Hill actually shot...BUT....Keep in mind that Howard Hill shot ALOT of different bows in His lifetime...Jim
"There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality, and then there are those who turn one into the other"...Douglas Everett
JimmyFingers

Postby Hank » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:11 am

I had a Shultz bow at one time, sold it to another straight bow kinda guy, he also sold it. I helped a guy build a Binghams straight bow (3 lams of maple) and it came out the same weight as the Shultz. 3 of us shot the 2 bows side by side and couldn't tell much of a difference, if any.

Grip on the Shultz was way too big for me. The grips needs to be fitted more to each person in regards to size. Hill had extremely large hands. I prefer a slight hump in the grip as it seems to nuetralize the bow more in the hand and negate the need for mass weight.
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby Peter O. Stecher » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:40 am

I have two Schulz bows, and one Timberline by Pete George. As far as I know from John Schulz, Hill prefered a lot of "back set". I like the stringfollow design of Pete Gerorges bow and of Nate Steens bows. But I think also Craig Ekin has a stringfollow bow form....
Attachments
rackk2.jpg
rackk2.jpg (190.86 KiB) Viewed 9206 times
Peter O. Stecher

Postby Peter O. Stecher » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:44 am

A view on the Schulz bows.....
Attachments
bow 048.jpg
bow 048.jpg (66.22 KiB) Viewed 9173 times
Peter O. Stecher

Postby Hornseeker » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:33 pm

That is one LARGE picture!
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby CarolinaBob » Sat May 02, 2009 5:44 am

Gee Peter O were those Too Short's bows? If so then they are "fence posts"!! Look in the old threads! I saw somewhere where one of John Schultz's son is making bows in his father's style. I wonder how long the waiting list is for a fence post?
CarolinaBob

Postby heavybows » Sun May 03, 2009 7:49 am

bow was made 2002.160# wesly special 70" thickness of glass 90. pistol grip small.
Attachments
160# bow.jpg
160# bow.jpg (121.5 KiB) Viewed 8954 times
heavybows

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Longbowman's hideout