Skip to content

dusting off the longbow

This is a longbow discussion forum that covers everything having to do with longbows. From board bows, to primitive self bows, to modern RD longbows made with synthetic laminates, your ideas, comments, and questions, are welcome here.

dusting off the longbow

Postby PAarcher » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:47 pm

After a long hiatus from the longbow I've dusted off the Stewart Slammer in the hopes of attaining something approaching proficiency with it.
I've demonstrated moments of proficiency with it in the past and for whatever reason, my shooting always falls apart and I head back to my recurve refuge.
I'm really going to try to stick it out this time. I love shooting longbows but I always struggle with them.
PAarcher

Re: dusting off the longbow

Postby Stykshooter » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:58 pm

I've been shooting my Hills pretty much exclusively since about Halloween. Even added another one to the stable. I have killed three deer in the last couple of weeks with one and keep asking myself why I went away from them as my serious hunting bow. I shoot them well... out to about 25 yards or so. Outside of that and I am better with one of my Bears or an ILF. But... in my 30 years of shooting traditional bows exclusively, I've never come across anything that is as much fun to shoot! I have a whole different feeling when I have one of my longbows in my hand.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby PAarcher » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:38 pm

One of these days I'll invest in a good Hill style bow. For now, I'm going to concentrate on this hybrid. Hell, the first deer I ever killed with a tradbow was with a 47# Penn Archery Works Somerset longbow.
PAarcher

Postby Stykshooter » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:07 pm

Theres another Pirate toting a longbow in the woods this year. You may know him... the skinny guy from Maryland with the funny nickname.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Yohon » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:17 am

Who Dat......
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby PAarcher » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:30 am

Stykshooter wrote:Theres another Pirate toting a longbow in the woods this year. You may know him... the skinny guy from Maryland with the funny nickname.

Yeah, but that guy is a cyborg. Might as well clamp that bow into a shooting machine!
PAarcher

Postby Yohon » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:52 pm

Haaaa.....a machine with a few wires crossed and some short circuit's going on in there................. :lol:
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby PAarcher » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:43 pm

:D :D :D
Yohon wrote:Haaaa.....a machine with a few wires crossed and some short circuit's going on in there................. :lol:
PAarcher

Postby BEN MAHER » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:02 pm

Look forward to pics of dead stuff getting grilled, sautéed after a good longbowing !
BEN MAHER

Postby PAarcher » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:15 pm

We all need to come to Australia. I've been watching some of your countrymen shoot all kinds of wild critters with stick bows. I watched a guy hunt a scrub bull. That thing was HUGE! And it was rather pissed when it got arrowed.
PAarcher

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Longbowman's hideout