Skip to content

Australian Long Bow

This is a longbow discussion forum that covers everything having to do with longbows. From board bows, to primitive self bows, to modern RD longbows made with synthetic laminates, your ideas, comments, and questions, are welcome here.

Australian Long Bow

Postby Ausbowman1 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:39 am

Okay, so this is my second bow, my first being a takedown recurve bow, with a wooden riser and fiber glass limbs. Its a long bow made from a Tasmanian oak board (board bows can be classified as longbows right?). I found it hard to get any good bow woods in Australia. I've heard Iron bark and spotted gum are good, but all the bunnings I went to either didn't have any, or would only allow me to buy in large quantities. Anyway, Tassy oaks pretty strong, and fairly dense, so I thought maybe its okay. I backed it with canvas and wood glue, more to stop it lifting splinters or violently self destructing than actually providing any tensile strength. Then I heat treated the belly and applied some mineral oil to hydrate it while it was hot. Then I began tiller. This is where I'm having problems. Since my only proper bow was a fiber glass recurve bow, their was no need to tiller it that well as the fiber glass is extremely durable. So in the picture the string is at about a 3" brace height (yes, Australia uses metric, but all bow building info is in Imperial so I just go with that) and i think it was drawn to around 22" on the tiller stick. (that is from the handle to the string). So I was wondering if people could look at the tiller, and give me tips on how to improve it, because it seems really fine, in terms of where the stiff parts are. I'm having trouble getting a nice curve.

IMG_20140707_2221132.jpg
IMG_20140707_2221132.jpg (42.06 KiB) Viewed 2978 times
Ausbowman1

Re: Australian Long Bow

Postby Stykshooter » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:26 am

Wow! Big photo!

I don't know anything about self bow tillering but I have to think that any bow made out of Tasmanian Oak would have to rate high on the coolness scale!
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Ausbowman1 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:33 am

Haha, yeah, sorry about the picture, my phone's camera is weird, if you just right click open image in new tab you can see it better. Why would that be cool?
Ausbowman1

Postby Stykshooter » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:50 am

Just the name.... we don't have any Tasmanian wood over here.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Ausbowman1 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:01 pm

I've gotten it to full brace height, now I just have to get to a 30" draw length, I'm really worried its going to snap and all the effort wasted.
Ausbowman1

Return to Board index

Return to Longbowman's hideout