Skip to content

Self bow from red oak board,it may hunt

This is a longbow discussion forum that covers everything having to do with longbows. From board bows, to primitive self bows, to modern RD longbows made with synthetic laminates, your ideas, comments, and questions, are welcome here.

Self bow from red oak board,it may hunt

Postby whump » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:50 pm

Whump Sez: I made a self bow from a red oak board about 4 years ago , It probably has about 300 or so shots out of it.55@ 28, I tuned up a few arrows with broadheads today and to be as ugly as it is, I am getting about 12" of penetration in hard styrofoam with eskimo heads which is plenty for a pass thru or at least a stick out. This bow is the ugliest thing I have ever constructed, I mean it is double ugly. I also have an arrow I made from a huckleberry shoot that weighs 625gns , but it doesn't stay straight very well, you can put a bend in it pretty easy , it acts kinda sappy but it shoots well. It also took me about a week to straighten the damn thing. I have about 5 sitka spruce that shoot down the middle. It takes an arrow spined for about 38-40lbs to shoot off the side of this 55lb self bow, so not only is it a bitch to tune an arrow to ,it makes me feel sad for an Indian. I may give this bow a chance to take a deer this season, it would be my first self bow deer if it happens.
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Re: Self bow from red oak board,it may hunt

Postby superkodiak38 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:26 am

I hate messin with wood arrows but, I have a 68" BBO thats 50@30 and I built it to try and kill a deer with it. I think i'm going to have to get off my but and try and find some 31" shafts. I have some carbons that will fly out of it but I think Staggy would dis own me if killed a deer with a carbon out of it :)
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby Stykshooter » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:48 am

Sounds like an outstanding way to spend a couple of days in the woods.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby jeffhalfrack » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:34 am

Cool!!! ,,,,,,,Don't knock red oak,,,,,,Whump,,, wait till you try white oak ;) JeffW
jeffhalfrack

Postby whump » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:33 pm

Whump sez; I would like to try hickory or white oak for a self bow ,but the older I get ,the less patience I have and I don't have the get up and go to split a stave, dry it, and them shape a bow. A board is enough trouble. So if your doing all the splitting, drying, and shaping---hats off to ya.
That is one reason I started shooting carbon 3 years ago. It is getting harder to find decent wood shafting, the last couple of dozen hardwoods I received looked like something a witch puts a spell on something with. In this part of the country, with 80% humidity almost the entire year, if you get crooked shit , no matter how you dry out, compress, heat straighten and re-straighten, it will warp again. I sat in a tree stand one morning in a fog with a ramin wood shaft nocked and I watched that arrow warp setting on the rest. It was sealed with gasket laq. I kept looking at it, thinking --that looks like it's warping--and it was. I was sitting in a tree stand taking arrows out of a quiver , spinning them, trying to find one that was straight enough to shoot.
I tried several different finishes, tru oil , tung oil and several varnishes and warping she came a running. Tru oil was probably the most durable of the finishes and you could heat the shaft a little to re-straighten and it wouldn't catch on fire like with gasket laq. That shaft drier I made helped out quite a bit but I was about tired of messing with wood when I built it. I had very little trouble with the soft woods like cedar, but I have a weight fetish when it comes to arrow weight and I was never comfortable with the lighter soft woods. . I did have a few compressed cedars that were heavy & shot well. My bullshit shields are getting weaker as I get older---it's like Star-Trek---Scotty needs to blow some air in the roosters ass so he can fight again.
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby whump » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Well I am def going in the woods Oct 15th with my board bow and a few wood arrows and try to kill a deer with this thing. I can shoot the bow accurate and the arrows are penetrating well so I am off on the great board bow hunt. I also have a few compressed cedar shafts from the 70,s with grizzly single bevel heads on them ,but it was a necessity instead of a want to. I had some griz that I had poured 50gns of lead in so they were weighing in at 210 grns and that was what it took on the pointy end to tune the arrow. If I shoot any of those I will let you know if they actually gut and skin a deer when I shoot one with it.
whump

Return to Board index

Return to Longbowman's hideout