Skip to content

Laminated Long bows

This is a longbow discussion forum that covers everything having to do with longbows. From board bows, to primitive self bows, to modern RD longbows made with synthetic laminates, your ideas, comments, and questions, are welcome here.

Laminated Long bows

Postby jmichelin84 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:48 pm

Hey guys i was wondering if anyone could shed some light on how they made this bow, i own one and i would like to make a weaker bow, the one i own is a 60LBS at 28#, and i would like a 45LBS bow, im thinking of how to make it, do you shape the individual parts then glue them together in a form like a laminated bow?? or is there other ways to get the shape that they have? I have the bow pictured below if anyone needed closer pics

Do they shape the parts and glue them together in a form or is there even any method to the madness LOL
jmichelin84

Re: Laminated Long bows

Postby Bender » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:18 pm

Well, I do know enough to know that its done using a form. Beyond that, the info you need can probably be found in the Bowyer's Forum.
Bender

Postby jmichelin84 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:16 pm

Bender wrote:Well, I do know enough to know that its done using a form. Beyond that, the info you need can probably be found in the Bowyer's Forum.

Thanks Bender, im looking for pressure form design ideas im found some but for limbs not a whole bow, you know of any on here i could view?
jmichelin84

Postby jporter@work » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:55 am

If you like the one you have, copy it for the form. Binghams is a source for the lamination and glass thickness you would need. 3Rivers used to sell blueprints for an r/d longbow and bingham's may have plans that would suit your needs.
jporter@work

Postby Bender » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:45 am

Actually no I don't. I've made few selfbows, A couple of which actually didn't blow up. I know little of actually making laminated bows. That is good info jporter has there though.
Bender

Postby 4nolz » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:55 am

where do you live? Thats a Tomahawk bow from three rivers I have a 1 piece RD longbow form very similar to it.
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby 4nolz » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:48 am

to your original question the laminations are epoxied and heat cured after being curves/shaped to the unstrung profile in a form.

lots of how-to and etc on you tube too.
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby jmichelin84 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:24 pm

jporter@work wrote:If you like the one you have, copy it for the form. Binghams is a source for the lamination and glass thickness you would need. 3Rivers used to sell blueprints for an r/d longbow and bingham's may have plans that would suit your needs.

4nolz wrote:where do you live? Thats a Tomahawk bow from three rivers I have a 1 piece RD longbow form very similar to it.

Porter ive looked at thier site and im going to email them about it and ask them if they have the material for the handle, the pheonic, i cant spell it LOL

2nolz, i live in Canada, it is the Diamond Desert Fox long bow, i own one and i like the shape and the colors of the woods :P and yes its a one piece R/D long bow, mines a 60 @ #28 id like to make one a 45 @ 28 or 50 @ 28
jmichelin84

Return to Board index

Return to Longbowman's hideout