Skip to content

Brand New Bowyer...Drawknife question

This is a longbow discussion forum that covers everything having to do with longbows. From board bows, to primitive self bows, to modern RD longbows made with synthetic laminates, your ideas, comments, and questions, are welcome here.

Brand New Bowyer...Drawknife question

Postby exnavynuke » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:51 pm

Hello all. I am glad I found this forum. I am bout to begin work on my first ever bow. Its going to be a self bow. I need to cut the tree still but I am going to try hickory. I am looking for a drawknife now too. Does anyone have any recommendations on a solid brand drawknife to get or what NOT to get??? Im looking forward to the challenge this will pose and I think I am patient enough to have several not work and keep trying until I make one right. Im glad I found this forum and plan on posting lots of questions as I run into issues over the next few months. Thanks in advance for any help.
exnavynuke

Re: Brand New Bowyer...Drawknife question

Postby jeffhalfrack » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:22 pm

Wellcome aboard! does your handle emply you have served? if so thanks for your time!! as far as tools,,go to flea markets,,antiques shops and were ever to find the good old tools most new are a waste! but lee valley tools has some good stuff,, for the big buck! I recomend their wood handle spoke shaves the kit is a little cheaper,,,while you wait for your hickory to cure I strongly recomend: sam harper's bow building for poor folks and apatment dwellers site and build a couple 5 or7 board bows first ;) if you have a good saw mill close by see if you can get ash,hickory,or my fave (white oak) in pure 1\4 sawn (meaning the grain doesent lean more than 5*!) build them board bows and learn how wood wants to bend then go w\the self bow stuff good luck JEFFW
jeffhalfrack

Postby exnavynuke » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:55 am

Thanks for the help already. So in your opinion it is easier to learn by building a board bow first? I can absolutely try that. It's easier to learn how the wood will bend and work? Ok. Thanks. And yes, I served for almost 9 years. Thank you for noticing that. And I appreciate your thanks. I had the easy part though. My wife had the toughest job in the navy while I was gone. LOL Anyway, Ill read some more and keep learning. I've already surfed all the local flea markets here to no avail. The only single drawknife I found was being sold as an antique with a 150 dollar price tag. Little high for me as yet. Im just starting dabbling in this bowyer stuff. Again, thanks for your help and I will keep udating on my progress.
exnavynuke

Postby exnavynuke » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:41 pm

jeffhalfrack wrote:Wellcome aboard! does your handle emply you have served? if so thanks for your time!! as far as tools,,go to flea markets,,antiques shops and were ever to find the good old tools most new are a waste! but lee valley tools has some good stuff,, for the big buck! I recomend their wood handle spoke shaves the kit is a little cheaper,,,while you wait for your hickory to cure I strongly recomend: sam harper's bow building for poor folks and apatment dwellers site and build a couple 5 or7 board bows first ;) if you have a good saw mill close by see if you can get ash,hickory,or my fave (white oak) in pure 1\4 sawn (meaning the grain doesent lean more than 5*!) build them board bows and learn how wood wants to bend then go w\the self bow stuff good luck JEFFW

I checked out Sam Harpers website. I think I actually may try the board idea first as well. Its a lot cheaper to make and break those. If and when I go through the work of taking a tree, splitting, and drying it, Ill be crushed if my first bow breaks. At least if I screw up a few board bows first, maybe when I mess up a stave it won't discourage me too bad. And the boards are cut and dried already. Thanks a lot fo the help!
exnavynuke

Return to Board index

Return to Longbowman's hideout