Skip to content

Calling Howard Hill Experts

This is a longbow discussion forum that covers everything having to do with longbows. From board bows, to primitive self bows, to modern RD longbows made with synthetic laminates, your ideas, comments, and questions, are welcome here.

Calling Howard Hill Experts

Postby JGray » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:46 pm

While strolling through my local sporting goods store yesterday (good gun shop w/ small archery dept. - no traditional stuff), the archery guy comes up to me and says he has a Howard Hill longbow to show me. I asked how heavy and he replied 66 @ 26 for $250. Too big for me, so I continued on without looking at it. A few minutes later he comes up again and says "how about 58 @ 27 for $150?" Okay, now my curiosity is getting the best of me - apparently, someone had just brought them in to sell on consignment. When I asked why he was selling, they replied he was getting older and couldn't pull them anymore. The lighter one is a 64" Big Five, four bamboo lams and what looks like Bacote in the riser. When I tell him I want to shoot it, he says he doesn't have any arrows fletched with feathers but the guy is supposed to bring some in. I told him to hold it for me and I will come back with my own arrows to try in it. Then I had him string it up so I could at least check it out and draw it. Two minutes later I decided to hell with it and bought it :o

The finish is a bit rough in spots (completely worn off one part of the riser), but no major dings. The limb edges are perfect and I think I can do a partial refinish to reseal it without buggering up the original markings. I'm now seeing in one of the photos what looks like might be a crack in the glass by the bear inked on the upper limb, but I can't see any evidence of any cracks in the glass anywhere and think it is probably a streak or scratch.

Can any of you guys that know these bows tell anything from the pictures as to an approximate age?
HH2.jpg
HH2.jpg (71.13 KiB) Viewed 8537 times

HH3.jpg
HH3.jpg (58.79 KiB) Viewed 8537 times

HH4.jpg
HH4.jpg (51.5 KiB) Viewed 8537 times
JGray

Re: Calling Howard Hill Experts

Postby JGray » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:50 pm

Here is another pic showing the entire bow, but not much detail is visible:
HH1.jpg
HH1.jpg (67.05 KiB) Viewed 8536 times
JGray

Postby Stykshooter » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:49 pm

A Big Five for $150.00...yeah you done GOOD!

No more money than you have in it, I would send it back to Craig and have him redo it at his shop. If you call him with the serial number, he can probably help you out on year of manufacture
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby AROMAKR » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:46 pm

Well you made the deal of the century!! I wouldn't worry about the streak in the glass, clear glass often has them. Shoot it and enjoy it.
Bob
AROMAKR

Postby JGray » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:51 pm

Stykshooter wrote:No more money than you have in it, I would send it back to Craig and have him redo it at his shop. If you call him with the serial number, he can probably help you out on year of manufacture

Thanks - those same thoughts occurred to me as well and is likely what I will do.
JGray

Postby JGray » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:00 pm

AROMAKR wrote:Well you made the deal of the century!! I wouldn't worry about the streak in the glass, clear glass often has them. Shoot it and enjoy it.
Bob

Thanks Bob - I did feel the price was too good not to pass up. The first bows I built were patterned after a Hill style bow and I've always wanted to have the real deal in hand to compare mine to. Laying one of mine on top of this one, strung and unstrung, is close enough to identical that they could have come off the same form.

On further examination, there are no streaks or cracks anywhere in the glass (which I know is just cosmetic anyway - some of my own make have had streaks).
JGray

Postby CarolinaBob » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:55 pm

So what was the heavier one?
CarolinaBob

Postby JGray » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:04 pm

CarolinaBob wrote:So what was the heavier one?

Never looked at it so can't say for sure - I was assuming another Big Five. If interested, I can follow up and see if they still have it...
JGray

Postby scattershot » Mon May 14, 2012 9:31 am

That's a STEAL!!! Aside from being a beautiful bow, all I can tell you is that it was made by Craig instead of one of the older bowyers. I'd buy the other one, too, just for the investment. Congrats!
scattershot

Postby Iktomi » Sun May 20, 2012 11:28 am

Now that's one hell of a deal. It's nice when good shit like that happens :D
"I’d have my cock out if I scored four goals. I’d have my cock out, stroking it."

Joe Thornton, Captain of the San Jose Sharks :lol:
Iktomi

Return to Board index

Return to Longbowman's hideout