Skip to content

Meet "Bushwacker"

This is a longbow discussion forum that covers everything having to do with longbows. From board bows, to primitive self bows, to modern RD longbows made with synthetic laminates, your ideas, comments, and questions, are welcome here.

Re: Meet "Bushwacker"

Postby Stykshooter » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:50 pm

but if I had one day left to live and only 1 hr to stump, rove and hunt with any bow possible i know it'd be one my Hillstyles ...

I am going to have to agree with you. I mess around with other types of bows. Shot a bunch of arrows off of a Titan earlier this spring and have shot some of my Bear Take downs almost exclusively since March. Heck, even putzed around with one of them new style wheelie bows.

I shot "Bushwhacker" some yesterday afternoon, and struggled with it a bit. I ended up spending over an hour shooting it today and just getting re-acquainted. We ended up the shooting session this evening on a high note. Lobbing heavy Fir shafts into the bulls eye fairly regularly. There is just something good for the soul to shoot wooden arrows out of a straight limbed longbow. They aren't as fast or as sexy as some of my recurves, and I DO love my Bear take downs, but they damn sure work.

My ultimate hunt at this point in my life would be to go on about a three week hunt up in the Yukon chasing moose. Wall tents, canoes, the whole shebang. Drag it out and enjoy the ride up until I only had a day or two left and then arrow one of the big ugly bastards with a Howard Hill and a heavy wood shaft.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby 4nolz » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:10 am

Styk are you intrested in some 65-68# bear takedown limbs-new black with blk/wh FF tips?
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby Stykshooter » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:29 pm

I'm not shooting that much weight any more. All of my limbs now are in the 50-55 pound range, which gives me 53-58 or 59 at my draw. Thanks for asking though.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby BEN MAHER » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:27 pm

Randy save me a seat on that trip .
BEN MAHER

Postby Stykshooter » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:20 pm

I have been so immersed in the Bear T/D's the last year or two that I have really neglected my Hill bows. Blew the dust off of my Halfbreed last week and shot a couple dozen arrows off of it just for giggles. That didn't suck at all.

I am going on a pheasant hunt next weekend and thought about taking a long bow. I pulled Bushwhacker out of its case, strung it up and went out back with it yesterday. Shot a couple dozen arrows at the target and then traipsed around doing what a straight limbed longbow and fir arrows do best.... stump shooting! Had a blast! Just came in from another enjoyable 45 minutes lobbing 700 grain arrows at targets of opportunity out back.

Well, looks like me & Ol Bushwhacker are going to team up on some of these flying feathered fiends next weekend. I am leaving the next week to chase hogs on some coastal islands in Georgia. Don't be surprised if Bushwhackers ends up with some hog blood and mud on it.
Stykshooter

Postby BEN MAHER » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:26 am

Randy... They shine as quick pointing shooters eh ...

Look forward to pics !
BEN MAHER

Postby Stykshooter » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:22 am

Sadly, Bushwhacker had to sit on the bench yesterday.

We spent a good portion of our time in thick, tall briars and black berry bushes looking for birds or arrows. I had to pretty much stomp a circle down around me to get my bow into action when we were reading for a flush. The extra length on the Hill along with the big Wooly Bugger fur silencers weren't a good fit. I took a T/D and would have been better armed with one of the 48" Super Magnums.
Stykshooter

Postby bearauto11 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:15 pm

That is sad... But go on... How did it go?
bearauto11

Postby Stykshooter » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:18 pm

Posted results under "question" in the bowhunting forum
Stykshooter

Postby bearauto11 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:24 pm

Yeah. I saw that. Was just coming back to say never mind. Thanks. Sounds like it was a great time.
bearauto11

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Longbowman's hideout