Skip to content

Meet "Bushwacker"

This is a longbow discussion forum that covers everything having to do with longbows. From board bows, to primitive self bows, to modern RD longbows made with synthetic laminates, your ideas, comments, and questions, are welcome here.

Meet "Bushwacker"

Postby Stykshooter » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:26 pm

The postal dude delivered a long, skinny box from Montana today. 68" long Big Five. Four laminations of bamboo and brown glass front and rear. A cocobolo riser with a locator grip and an elk hide laced on it. Myrtlewood overlays on the limb tips. 60 @ 28", should give me about 65.

I had Craig name her.... "Bushwacker"

You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Re: Meet "Bushwacker"

Postby BEN MAHER » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:27 pm

Very cool .
About as classic a looking "longbow" as you can get .
BEN MAHER

Postby lostaro » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:09 pm

I'm just hoping he comes to his senses and goes back to shooting those Titans....then maybe I can make an offer to take those Hills off his hands!! Nice shootin' iron sir, hope to see it on a blood trail soon!
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby Stykshooter » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:53 am

hope to see it on a blood trail soon!

You & me both!
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Feral Donkey » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:45 am

Draw any blood with it yet?
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Stykshooter » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:09 am

Our season doesn't come in until October 1st.
Stykshooter

Postby superkodiak38 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:52 am

Answer the question Randy :twisted: ...lol...
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby BEN MAHER » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:13 pm

Randy ... any update ? The snuffers and Hill been out and about yet ?
BEN MAHER

Postby Stykshooter » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:18 pm

Ol' Bushwhacker was my go to bow during the 2011 season and we shot seven deer that year. Not bad for a straight limbed longbow and wooden arrows. This past season I left it on the rack and toted my Whippenstick Classic all year long. Regular season is over now but we still have our urban archery season going on...."does and bows". I was contemplating pulling out one of my Bear Takedowns and trying and get one bloody here these last few weeks but ended up putting Bushwhacker in the starting line up once again. I thought that I had a problem with a lamination separating or something at first. Then I realized, it was just deer blood on the side of the limb left from last year.

Very nice day here today and I spent a lot of time outside shooting it and just getting reacquainted with it... getting ready for a 3-D tomorrow morning and hopefully a couple of afternoons in a tree stand next week. My son was shooting his longbow some as well and it turned out to be a good afternoon.

Might just be the spot I have settled into in my archery career at this point in time but, to me, there is really something soothing to the soul to stand out there and launch a heavy wooden arrow off of a classic "D" longbow and shoot them into pretty respectable groups.
Stykshooter

Postby BEN MAHER » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:19 pm

Stykshooter wrote:
Might just be the spot I have settled into in my archery career at this point in time but, to me, there is really something soothing to the soul to stand out there and launch a heavy wooden arrow off of a classic "D" longbow and shoot them into pretty respectable groups.

I agree .
I have all sorts of bows ... longbows , compounds , ILF 'curves and 1 pce curves ... and lots and lots of Hill style longbows ...

I sold or am selling or giving away a bunch of bows , probably keep 2 compounds and a few Hill style bows ... heck I am even now competing in FITA with them , just to see if I can do it ...
i had a bit of an epiphany last week [ mind you I have this same epiphany fairly often ... ] I had a bunch of bows up at the ranch and was just taking turns flinging arrows from them , and maybe its just coz I am tad archery nerdy and history buffy ... but its was the whoosh of a big feathered arrow out of my straight limbs ... the looping arc to the stump and pine cone ... thats what got me smiling ...

I'll keep dabbling probably ...

but if I had one day left to live and only 1 hr to stump, rove and hunt with any bow possible i know it'd be one my Hillstyles ... probably My Whippenstick classic , or my Belcher Union Jack or Hill special Edition Robin hood #13 with a back quiver full of doug fir ...

You could bury me with any of them ......

Sentimental ain't I ?
BEN MAHER

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Longbowman's hideout