Skip to content

Facin' Facts..

This is a longbow discussion forum that covers everything having to do with longbows. From board bows, to primitive self bows, to modern RD longbows made with synthetic laminates, your ideas, comments, and questions, are welcome here.

Re: Facin' Facts..

Postby Stykshooter » Mon May 30, 2011 8:30 pm

My Titans are set up with carbons, elevated rest and plungers. I decided that if I was going to shoot a Hill, the only way to go was to go back to wooden arrows. I am shooting tapered Surewoods off of it now.

I came into a deal and bought a 100 of those AD tapered shafts a couple of years ago. I was really disappointed in their durability. Busted a lot of them up and then sold off the rest. Of course, around here you aren't very likely to hit dirt if you miss. Mostly it will be a tree or limestone. Hard on most all arrows.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Ranger B » Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Randy - sorry we didn't get to talk more this weekend or shoot together but since I shot barebow we were the last guys off the range - long long day. I was humbled trying to shoot a recurve barebow against the compound barebow guys. Anyway, you are an experienced archer so I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but I will post a few thoughts.

Yes, the longbow off the shelf will certainly be tougher to shoot than the Titan recurve with elevated rest and plunger. With the Titan you can tune the bow to a wide range of arrows. Also, because the bow is cut past center you have a wider variety of spine options that can work. The Hill bow forces you to tune the arrow, which is exponentially harder. I have shot selfbows with wood arrows for years and tried to compete with the longbow and recurve guys - you just have to accept that it's much much tougher and you'll never shoot quite as well as you can with the Titan. You have to put a lot of time into the arrows. Before the days of compounds top archers swapped arrows to try and match arrows that would tune for their bow. Top archers would get a dozen arrows and try to get them to fly out of their bow. They might get 4 out of a dozen then they would swap with one another to try and get a few more each. You will have to work with those arrows. I recommend you number them and find the 3 or 4 that simply do not fly well due to an off spine or weight differential. Next, you have to put time in straightening them. Straightening has to become a passion and you have to be good at it. You may already be good. I can't overstate how much of a difference a really straight wood arrow makes. Anyway, enjoy yourself and I hope to see you soon. Have fun at the STAR.
Ranger B
Ranger B

Postby Bowlim » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:31 pm

One thought is that a 700 grain arrow out of a 60 lbs bow, while an admirable combination, is not going to give you the flattest shooting bow. I don't know how heavy Howards arrows were, but I know I had little trouble being in the 500-550 range, if I recall, with bows up to 78 pound at 29 inches. The reality is that as draw weight goes up it is not necessary to go to much heavier arrows to keep pace. If the guys shooting 10 grs at 38 pounds on deer, or something, are calling it good, I don't see why I should worry about 550 at 78 pounds. Just thinking that if you want to extend that range a few yards, there is probably a way...
Bowlim

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Longbowman's hideout