Skip to content

Facin' Facts..

This is a longbow discussion forum that covers everything having to do with longbows. From board bows, to primitive self bows, to modern RD longbows made with synthetic laminates, your ideas, comments, and questions, are welcome here.

Facin' Facts..

Postby Stykshooter » Mon May 30, 2011 10:13 am

I was out at the archery club for a good portion of the day Fri., Sat., & Sun. helping to run the State Shoot. Didn't get to shoot the tournament but did get to shoot my longbow a lot between obligations.

Fact: I ain't near as good with my longbow as I am with a Titan.

Fact: Probably never will be either.

Fact: The frustration factor aside, I have never shot a bow that is as fun or as addictive as the Howard Hill.

Fact: I can hit a soda can most all of my shots inside 22-25 yards or so... definitely "minute of deer" accuracy.

Fact: With a 60+ pound longbow and a 700 grain arrow I can probably shoot through most anything I want to.

Fact: With the same set up, I have no business shooting at anything at a distance of 30 yards or more.

Fact: This is without a doubt the quietest weapon I have ever shot.

Looks like bow season is going to be a fun, frustrating, exhilarating, close range proposition this year. Of course, I guess that is as it should be.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Re: Facin' Facts..

Postby Bender » Mon May 30, 2011 10:40 am

Fact:
If you're good to take a deer at up to 30 yds. you're light years ahead of most stickbow shooters regardless of what you're shooting.
But I would have expected nothing less.
Bender

Postby 4nolz » Mon May 30, 2011 12:58 pm

I feel your pain...I had this deer at 30 yards 4X last year in Iowa-relaxed standing still scanning the timber for does,grooming himself etc-4 friggin times.With my recurve I just couldnt get myself to gut shoot him or something-the neighbor shotgunned him a month later..... :x

there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby 4nolz » Mon May 30, 2011 1:01 pm

found this one dead during turkey season 75 yards from my Mom's birdbath-thought at first maybe I was wrong about the neighbor but the 5th "crab claw" on that 9 pointer haunts me.He's dead allright....

4nolz

Postby 4nolz » Mon May 30, 2011 1:02 pm

pair of decent 3 year olds
4nolz

Postby jeffhalfrack » Mon May 30, 2011 1:05 pm

Man I hear what you are saying!!!!! I wish,,, my hunting skills would catch up to my BS hunting stories ;) I just may end up with less breen beans and more deer meat in the freezer!! JEFFW
jeffhalfrack

Postby 4nolz » Mon May 30, 2011 4:15 pm

maybe I orta buy a compound and just keep it hid in Iowa... :oops:
4nolz

Postby COB » Mon May 30, 2011 5:58 pm

If we wanted it easy we would use a rifle, shotgun, crossbow, or a compound all the time! I always thought that the use of stick and string proved we were the types that want a challenge and knew our limits and were willing to stay within them! JMHO. :roll:
COB

Postby Stykshooter » Mon May 30, 2011 6:34 pm

Couple of nice looking deer there Nolz. By the way, that was a great story about you in the last TBM. I gotta get onto some of those rays one day.

This Howard Hill is definitely a challenge, I definitely know my limits and hope I have enough will power to stay within them this year. Heck, I don't know what I am complaining about, 90% of the deer I shoot with my bow are inside fo fifteen yards anyway.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby BEN MAHER » Mon May 30, 2011 7:24 pm

As a bit of a straight Limb Hill style fella I'll be following your exploits closely ... Yep they sure are quiet eh !

I know what you mean , i have been playing with My Titan and a new Widow PLX ...they are dandy dead in the hand shooters and I may take them hunting this year [ I have only hunted with Hills this past 14 years ] but boy do they shoot good . I love this PLX ... Its a sweety !

But at the end of the day I probably am more comfortable with my my deep cored Hill bows when afield ... don't know why either ... just am .

You post up your deer taken with your Hill and I'll take a pig with the PLX and post a pic ....... My Hills won't talk to me after that .

As a side note I got some AD TRAD Lites ... they seem to shoot well out of everything and are amazingly tolerant of point weight and B'head weight ... very nice robust shaft .
BEN MAHER

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Longbowman's hideout