Skip to content

F.I.T.A. Longbow.

This is a longbow discussion forum that covers everything having to do with longbows. From board bows, to primitive self bows, to modern RD longbows made with synthetic laminates, your ideas, comments, and questions, are welcome here.

Re: F.I.T.A. Longbow.

Postby longbowguy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:03 pm

In CA most anything is OK in longbow classes so long as the string does not touch the limb except at the nock. 3 piece takedowns are very common, especially among avid hunters. This is, in my opinion, as it should be as I think the traditional classes should include as many archers as possible. We are in the minority at most events and need to cast our net broadly. IFAA and FITA events are very rare in the western US. My bows, a Howard Hill and a 21st Century Edge, both 70 inches and in the forties at my longish draw comply under international rules, as do a number of others. - lbg
longbowguy

Postby jerbearyukon » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:39 pm

Would an A&H one piece work - they make 'em up to 66" for around 1000 bucks

Jer
jerbearyukon

Postby Bender » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:37 pm

The A&H won't work for IFAA longbow. No reflex in the limb allowed, even if the the string never does touch the limb. No reflex, period. Not sure about FITA. Does it even recognize "longbow" as such?
Bender

Postby cylithera » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:28 am

Along the lines of a FITA longbow, any recommendations for a short archer stuck with a 25" draw? I currently shoot a 64", 42 @ 28" reflex-deflex longbow that's served me extremely well so far -- my only complaint about the bow is that there's hardly any mass in the riser. In FL, as long as I shoot wooden arrows, I'm usually considered a longbow but I get moved over to either Traditional or Barebow (depending on the event) if I shoot carbon arrows. I have no problems moving to another different division and actually get a kick out of annoying (or entertaining, depending on how I'm shooting) some of the string-walkers every now and then :) Anyway, what kind of dimensions should I be looking at with respect to things such as total bow length and riser length for a good FITA / IFAA legal longbow? In particular, I'm really curious about riser length because I know my bow has a very short riser (17" I think) and I see a lot of Olympic recurves of the same length (64") with 21" or 23" risers.
cylithera

Postby Bowlim » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:01 pm

31 inch draw is pretty colossal. I have the draw needs of a guy who is about 6'3", I have short legs so I'm short by 2 inches. I used to shoot 31 inches, in my beginner phase, but I shoot 29" today, and tending to go even shorter. I shoot 30" comfortably with compound. I'm confident that is a fit. Just wondering about long draws.
Bowlim

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Longbowman's hideout