Skip to content

F.I.T.A. Longbow.

This is a longbow discussion forum that covers everything having to do with longbows. From board bows, to primitive self bows, to modern RD longbows made with synthetic laminates, your ideas, comments, and questions, are welcome here.

F.I.T.A. Longbow.

Postby GuyWithBow » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:48 pm

I think my last thread was incomplete in it's description of intent. If I am going to "learn to shoot a longbow", I mean just that. That includes everything from popping aspirins in mid air to consistently anchoring good hits in the long distance field archery targets. I figure the hard part those two is the field archery, so that is where I am going to focus my equipment. What are folks (tall folks especially) shooting field archery longbow with?
Thanks.
GuyWithBow

Re: F.I.T.A. Longbow.

Postby Bender » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:19 pm

Doing very well with a Bob Lee Bicentennial Elite.
Bender

Postby Hornseeker » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:10 pm

Once again...its up to you and what you want. That Bob lee that Bender mentions can do the trick... Myself and another couple guys do ok with a Sapphire Hawk, I've been beat by guys with Schafer Silvertips... and Toelke Traditionals... You name it...

If that is what you want to do though, look for a 62+ inch bow that draws in the upper 40's for your draw length. Maybe a takedown that you can get multiple sets of limbs for....

Keep us posted!
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby BEN MAHER » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:56 pm

Aussie judges are harsh and enforce bow regulations with gusto ... as such for longbow i tend to use Hill's , Liberty English and Millers .... ifaa AND Fita judges are harsh man !!!!
BEN MAHER

Postby Bender » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:12 pm

That's true. As near as I can figure the Lee and other R/D hybrids are FITA legal but not IFAA legal. So one might take that into consideration. And locally, say at the State level? No telling without checking your State's rules.
Bender

Postby GuyWithBow » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:57 am

I ordered a Tomahawk SS take-down yesterday from 3 rivers. The bows isn't exactly what I thought I would need, but they have a great return policy, so it seemed worth it to try a "close enough". My draw is 30.5-31", depending on the bow, and wanted a longer bow, but light draw weight... hard to find those in stock and didn't want to wait to have one built. Had a 45# at 28" 62" bow on hand, so figured would try it. If is hinky, will send it back and have a longer one made. They only list up to 64" bows on the web site, but sales rep told me they could build longer but would cost a bit more, same production time though.

I didn't really want to start with a hybrid, but I hunt too. Seemed more important to get something super shootable and at my draw length, hybrid seemed like a better starting place than trying 13 "D" bows before I found one that suited me and ending up with a compound or recurve next year instead of being able to stick with the longbow.

Am I looking at this right?
GuyWithBow

Postby Hornseeker » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:51 pm

Yip...That T-Hawk will be alright.. Might be close on the draw length... if its 45 @ 28...it will likely be 10# heavier at 31...
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby GuyWithBow » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:55 pm

The bow is a little stacky for me. I can shoot it well close range, but have to fight it at full draw and have trouble getting a consitant, clean release. If I shoot it for a year, could probably work the bugs out, but have issues with paying $1000 for a bow I "Have to get used too". Am sending it back tomorrow and having a longer one made. Grart bow though, points better for me than anything I have ever shot.
GuyWithBow

Postby trad_in_cali » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:43 am

You should check, last I recall T/D are not allowed...
Marco
trad_in_cali

Postby trad_in_cali » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:44 am

Oh, and I shoot a 21st Century, 70".
Marco
trad_in_cali

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Longbowman's hideout