[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4685: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4687: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4689: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
Pirates Of Archery • View topic - Modifiying a Stock...

Skip to content

Modifiying a Stock...

Here's the place to talk about your long guns.

Modifiying a Stock...

Postby Hornseeker » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:32 am

So, all of my rifles have factory walnut on them, which I hate the looks of... I want something composite looking and of course, something stabl. e.

I have been considering new stocks... then I think, hey, I can probably glass bed/reinforce these to make sure they are stable... then, I could shape them any way I want and put a duracoat or something finish on them... why not?

What qualities does a Good, high dollar, target quality type stock have that I can modify an old walnut stock to have? Remember, I have the tools... I can inlet carbon strips into the stock. I can lay up kevlar or glass or whatever. I can build up here or take away there...

Couple different stocks in mine by the way... I have a little 06' that I want to keep as mountain rifle...want as light and weatherproof as possible... The other is a 300 winny that I want to build the stock more into a tactical/target style.

Stiffen them? Make sure they are bedded solid? Inlet aluminum pillars?

Thanks!
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Re: Modifiying a Stock...

Postby Feral Donkey » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:57 am

The best you can do is a good plywood stock like a Boyds then you bed it with gunsnot and steel pillars. You can insert a little piece of carbon behind the recoil lug of the action if you like. The old Mausers had a little block of pot metal or aluminum or something. Basically, you want it to be fit well and held well without stressing or bending the reciever at all. That's where the synthetic stocks fall short because the aluminum guts of those stocks like the Hogue or McMillan are never fit right and when you tighten down the action screws, it makes the action slightly bend, causing some squareness issues and that cuses acuracy problems. Plywood and gunsnot is the way to go. Just make sure you use steel sleeve pillars inserted into the wood for the action screws to tighten down on so you're not squishing wood. Measure the gaps between the bottom metal and the action and I'll make you some pillars if you want. You set those in with gunsnot too.

Feral Donkey

Postby Hornseeker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:15 pm

Thanks for the info Aaron. I dont want to buy the laminated stock. So... what can I do, even if it takes all kinds of crazy carving and gluing, to make my wood stock tip top? Can I remove wood and laminate some carbon strips on there, then putty her up, sand and finish to make it rigdid and such? I've got some ideas... The pillars sound like a good idea. If I dont have some bar stock handy to do it with, I'll let you know the dimensions. It will be a while before I get after this.

What if I remove a shit load of material inside the stock and replace it with strips of glass or carbon and bow snot? Along with the Pillars... and make sure the barrel is floated well enough that any "movement" in the stock still wont touch the barrel?

I'm actually butchering a little 22 stock right now to test my methods on... ITs gonna be fun. I'll take pics and do a build-along for it later. I have this old POS 22... Stevens M87A that I shot a SHIT LOAD as a kid. All rusty and such, but a straight shooter. I'm gonna paint it up and rework this stock into a "tactical" style stock and give it a cool finish job. I am thinking it will be a sweet looking rig when I'm done. As long as it shoots like it did 25 yrs ago, I'll be happy... cause it will "look cool" too!
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby Feral Donkey » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:39 am

Take your regular wood stock and take a dremel and a chisseland remove material around the recoil lug and front action ring. Do the same thing with the back by the rear action screw. Just keep the top line of the wood pretty where it meets the metal. Make little undercuts in the wood to make little mechanical locks to hold the glass bedding compound, not like it needs it because that shit sticks to everything. Do the pillars. Set the pillars and the action in the gunsnot, the whole gun being assembled, bottom metal, pillars, action screws, and all. Make sure you use release agent and grease where you don't want the gunsnot to hold.

When assembling, cut a q-tip in half, dip it in grease and stuff them in the action screw holes. Then when you assemble it, you pull out the q-tips and your holes are free and clear of gunsnot. Then grease your action screws and put them in place. Remember to use the Acraglass Gel in the green box. The red box is runny and you need to make little dams with modeling clay.

Feral Donkey

Postby Hookeye » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:04 am

Wood stocks I loved the old Brownells "Microbed".

Of course it's not longer available :cry:

Touch up the finish on wood.............loved the old Outers "Gunslick" finish in the little bottle. Dried quick, matched about everything..........must have had some nasty stuff in it, as it too is no longer available.

Damn I love being old and grouchy!
Hookeye Archery

The only one on my staff is my ol' lady
Hookeye

Return to Board index

Return to Rifleman's Hide