[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4685: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4687: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4689: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
Pirates Of Archery • View topic - I'll start with my heavy scout

Skip to content

I'll start with my heavy scout

Here's the place to talk about your long guns.

Re: I'll start with my heavy scout

Postby Feral Donkey » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:52 pm

I got the scope today. :D Nikon really makes really nice optics.

Feral Donkey

Postby PAarcher » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:33 pm

Yeah, Nikon and Sightron are both top notch in my book.
PAarcher

Postby Feral Donkey » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:02 am

I got the stock sanded out. Then I sanded some more. Then I sanded some more. There's just going to be a home made look to it no matter how much I try to scrub on it. It's been so hacked and filled in with epoxy that it'll be functional and ok looking at best. I took a popsicle stick and wrapped it with 220 grit flint or grout paper and used that to smooth out some of the bumps where I got a little reckless with the belt sander. I got most of the waves and bumps out. Then I sanded the whole thing with the grain to make the scratches disappear. So I put on the first coat of tongue oil and you all know what happens. You never see the spots you missed until you put the first coat on. Damn it all to hell. Now I have to wait for the tongue oil to set up enough to do some more sanding. It's out in the sunshine right now with the breeze blowing over it.

I actually kinda like having a little crudeness to the look. When someone looks at it and sees it's got a little "rat rod" vibe to it, they immediately know it's not something you bought at Gander Mtn. Then when they set up at the next bench from you with some big, shiny, new penis extender of a rifle with a Hubble telescope of a scope and you are shooting clover leafs and they're keeping it on the paper and spraying them randomly, you turn to them and start a polite, friendly conversation with them about guns and shooting. Often times they have no idea how to even talk to you and they get up and leave. They thought they were going to be cool because they bought the stuff. :lol: But then you run into the guy with a basement full of Enfields and Springfields he'll talk your ear off for hours. Those guys are great.

Feral Donkey

Postby Feral Donkey » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:01 pm

Here's the stock after coat #3. I did the first 2 coats with Tongue oil and the last one with Tru Oil. I think one more light sanding with the scotch brite and one more coat of Tru Oil and it'll be where I want it to be.

Feral Donkey

Postby PAarcher » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:08 pm

That looks pretty darn nice. A far cry from the backyard hack job you have been describing.
PAarcher

Postby Feral Donkey » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:35 pm

Wait until you see it up close. It looks ok now.

Feral Donkey

Postby Feral Donkey » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:14 am

Here it is with the finish done as far as I like it. I could have sanded it and gone with a 5th coat but I think it's good enough.

Feral Donkey

Postby PAarcher » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:32 pm

Damn! You're almost done. Get that scope mounted up and see how she shoots.
PAarcher

Postby bearauto11 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:03 pm

That is way too cool!
bearauto11

Postby Feral Donkey » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:35 pm

Got the scope mounted on it today. I had to do a little of this and a little of that but it's on. Now to see how it shoots. Then it's time for Ceracoat.

Feral Donkey

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Rifleman's Hide