[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4685: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4687: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4689: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
Pirates Of Archery • View topic - I'll start with my heavy scout

Skip to content

I'll start with my heavy scout

Here's the place to talk about your long guns.

I'll start with my heavy scout

Postby Feral Donkey » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:53 am

I just ordered a #4 contour Wilson arms barrel in .30-06 which is going to replace the 8X57 barrel on my CZ BRNO 98-22 beater scout rifle. The muzzle diameter at 26" is .650 so when I cut it back and crown it to 22", It will be stouter. Then I got an A2 flash hider for .308 with a muzzle thread of 5/8-24 that's going on the end of it. I need to get the barrel in hand and take some measurements off it, then I'll order an XS scout sight base. Then I need to make a front sight base and a decent blade or I'll just buy one. :D

Who all makes intermediate eye relief scopes now?

When I'm done with this, I'll have a fast-handling, scoped .30-06 that can be fed with stripper clips. Maybe I should have a duracoat job done on it too. Hmmmm...

Feral Donkey

Re: I'll start with my heavy scout

Postby PAarcher » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:02 pm

Leupold makes several scout scopes. Burris does too. Leatherwood makes a 2-7 that gets decent reviews.
PAarcher

Postby Howattman » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:27 am

Resident Howattologist
Pirate Poet Laureate/Hardcore Defective

"Pain or damage don’t end the world, or despair or f**king beatings. The world ends when you’re dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man—and give some back.”

Howattman

Postby Feral Donkey » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:16 am

I'm going to get that Leatherwood and if it's not quite as good as I need it to be, then it'll go on one of my other milsurps. But the thing is on back order at Midway now. I'll see if anyone else has one.

Feral Donkey

Postby Feral Donkey » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:45 am

I just read that the Weaver kind of sucks. It's got no field of view.

Feral Donkey

Postby PAarcher » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:03 pm

These guys are great to deal with and might have what you want in stock.
PAarcher

Postby Feral Donkey » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:36 am

When you get a chance, go look in the Siera loading manual at their recomended hunting load for a 200 grain bullet and see the energy it puts out. Compare it to the energy put out by a .45-70 with a 300 grain bullet. I think .30-06 is seriously over looked.

Feral Donkey

Postby PAarcher » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:05 pm

The '06 is fully capable of putting the smack down on anything in the USA. It's probably one of the best all around cartridges in the world. But, if I were going to go hunt really big stuff I'd still choose the 45-70. I'll take the momentum offered by something like a Garrett 540gr Hammerhead round any day of the week. Of course I don't see that coming into play unless you are going after buffalo, rhino, etc. Same principle as applied to arrows. A high velocity lightweight bullet will have lots of muzzle energy but will it be able to carry that energy through whatever you are shooting at? Lots of variables to consider.

Robar is an excellent company. His NP3 finish has been proven over many years of use.

Duracoat isn't too hard to apply. The devil is in the metal prep. The best way to apply it is over a fresh coat of parkerizing.
PAarcher

Postby Feral Donkey » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:18 pm

I'm getting the big thumping lever gun too. I'm just making myself finish this project I started all those years ago.

Feral Donkey

Postby PAarcher » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:19 pm

By all means, finish it! That will be an awesome project.
Then get the thumper!!!!!!!!!
PAarcher

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Rifleman's Hide