[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4685: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4687: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4689: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
Pirates Of Archery • View topic - Pig thumper

Skip to content

Pig thumper

Here's the place to talk about your long guns.

Pig thumper

Postby Feral Donkey » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:54 am

At work this morning, 3 of us in the tool room are starting to conspire to maybe go kill some pigs in Texas with boom-sticks next December. This gives me a great excuse to either build or buy a new pig thumper. What does everyone use for a firearm for killing pigs? These guys seem to think we're chasing pigs up to 600 pounds and they're talking the need for firepower. I didn't think wild pigs got that big. I kinda like the idea of a full-size Marlin lever gun in .444 Marlin. :D

Feral Donkey

Re: Pig thumper

Postby lostaro » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:26 am

A .444 Marlin was my 1st deer rifle, cool gun. Wish I still had it. You don't see them everyday. I never shot anything but factory ammo out of it, which killed every deer I shot at. Not much in the way of factory stuff, if you handload the world is yours. I think Buffalo Bore makes some wicked rounds for it. I've got it's cousin now, the 45-70. Not as cool as the .444 but tons of options for ammo. One thing to keep in mind, even the full size Marlin rifles aren't really that big. I know the chopped down Guide models have their fans but the full size is handy enough for me. I think you'll be happy with it. Go ready to kill a 600lb hog and the 50lb roasters will be easy! ;)
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby 4nolz » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:51 am

unless you are paying trophy fees for russian boars you arent going to shoot anything over 250# max and the sheild does become a factor head shoot the big ones .444 is plenty
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby topcamp » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:28 pm

a 22 mag in the ear will kill any of them.........plop .....dead......done..........or if you want to really scramble the brain........a 243 is all you need...........why shoot them in the thorax and mess up a good shoulder............... :?: :?: the key is shooting something that your comfortable with putting it in the ear with............
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby Hornseeker » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:54 pm

On that "Sons of Guns" show the other night they built an AR that shot this 458 So Com.. or something like that... sweet fricken round!

But otherwise, yeah...what TC said. Id take whatever gun I liked to shoot the most, which is my 06'. UNless I knew I was doing all close range stuff, then I'd just take my 94' 30-30.

Fun chit. My dad has a buddy that wants us to come down and kill all the pigs we can... may have to try it some day.
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby PAarcher » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:01 am

Go get a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 and be done with it. best damn hunting rifle ever made if you ask me.
PAarcher

Postby Stykshooter » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:40 am

I've a full sized Marlin 1895 in 45/70... cool gun to be sure and definitely kills chit dead.

Knowing you Aaron, I would suggest you go with one of the centerfire AR platforms. With your interests and abilities, who knows what you would come up with. It is hard to beat the fun factor of an AR rifle, plus they are handy to tote and most are accurate as all get out. I have an Armalite HBar that will shoot sub half inch groups at 100 yards with good hand loads. You can get uppers in all kinds of cool pig killing calibers now as well.

I have no doubt that a standard .223 in one of the premium loadings would give even the biggest piggy more than he could handle, but... there are way cooler pig thumping calibers out there to play with. One of my firearms instuctors has an upper in .458 SoCom and we spent a couple of hours shooting cars with it on the range the other day. Damn near the ballistic twin of the 45/70. Another of my guys works parts time for Alexander Arms which is just up the road. He shot a buffalo out west with his .50 Beuwolf last summer. The .450 Bushmaster is in the same class. All of these are costly as hell to shoot but this isn't going to be your Sunday afternoon tin can shooter. For a couple three hundred bucks you can pick up a .223 upper as a plinker or even a .22 rimfire conversion. Half the rounds I shoot out of my personal AR's any more are with a .22 conversion kit. The 6.8 SPC ought to be a pretty good hog killer and you can go with the Remington R-25 (Which of course is just a Bushmaster) and get one in 7mm-08 or .308. The AR-10's and R-25's are of course heavier and bulkier than a standard .223 but you are a big boy and it shouldn't bother you much.

The way you like to tinker and "tweak" stuff, an Ar-15 upper and lower laying on your kitchen table along with the 200 kajillion aftermarket parts available for them would pretty much amount to Pandora's box for you. Besides, it is pretty tuff to mount a Surefire light or a laser on a 1895... much less a bayonet. Gotta have a bayonet for the end of a bonafide pig thumper.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby 4nolz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:15 am

I second the AR.You know everything about them plus its legal to night hunt hogs in Texas and a laser/tactical light would be cool.
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby Feral Donkey » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:23 pm

Wasn't there a .375 based on a .308 case that just came out a few years ago? Now I wonder if someone has done that in an AR10 yet?

Feral Donkey

Postby Feral Donkey » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:28 pm

I see Armalite has a .338 Federal upper. :D I can buy 2 Marlin lever guns for the cost of that but that is pretty cool, none the less.

Feral Donkey

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Rifleman's Hide