[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4685: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4687: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4689: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
Pirates Of Archery • View topic - 8mm-06

Skip to content

8mm-06

Here's the place to talk about your long guns.

Re: 8mm-06

Postby Feral Donkey » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:30 pm

Maybe you should stop using the brush. :lol: I had a Swedish Mauser like that. It shot awesome and when you'd clean it with cheap nitro solvent it was fine. Then I got to REALLY cleaning it and had like you said. Another thing too, 7X57 was not always .284. I have some pulled bullets that I think are .287" and an old barrel off a '93 Mauser that I slugged out with some melted solder and the groove diameter measured .287-.288". I think there was a change somewhere along the line. You could have been shooting modern loadings with .284" bullets in a .287" bore. That'll throw you way off too.

Nice to see you back! :D We'll see you again this May at the top of the hill. You know right where we'll be.

Feral Donkey

Postby jporter@work » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:05 pm

Doc, I think I had the same type issue. Plus, the gun was never cleaned after the war and sat for 20-25 years before I got it years ago. Never could get a decent group and after inspecting the rifling you could tell the bore was shot. Trouble is that now there are too many options and the prices are pretty good on barrels.
jporter@work

Postby Doc Nock » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:11 pm

JP,
I ended up buying a Douglas 7mm med wt barrel, and had a match 140 gr. spitzer chamber put in it...my research indicated that was identified in England conversions as a .276 Rigby. It shoots 140 gr. ballistic tips in under 3/4" all day... but truth was the bolt was stretched, the barrel was bad and in the end, it was reconstructed w/ MK parts...got a hinged floor plate and put in an adjustible trigger. Cost more than buying a damned Sako or other good tuned bolt, but hey... :)

I later learned that using the interment camp folks to run the factories, there was a purposeful attempt to NOT do the heat treating of parts... who knows. But it truly did suck groups.

Back before the GCA of 1966, I bought a mail order FN Mauser mfg by Fabrique Nacionale of Herstal, Belgum made for the allied forces in 30.06. Uncle had visions of becoming a gun smith and took the barrel off, chucked it and was attempting to draw file the steps outa the barrel as was desireable in those days... turned out that sucker had a bent barrel!

Not had much luck with keeping original barrels on military mausers... :(

FD,

I don't think so but those are very good thoughts! I did a casting of the action into the bore and the bore... grooves were closer to 30 cal! This one sucked!

I hope to get to B'more this year...surgery last made it iffy and then lost a ride for a day trip.
Doc Nock

Postby Feral Donkey » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:59 pm

Feral Donkey

Postby jporter@work » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:01 am

Feral Donkey, may have to take you up on that. I saw a reamer on e-bay a week or so back for 8mm improved. Has anyone heard of such a creature? I figured it was someone selling an 8mm-06 reamer that they had picked up and didn't know jack about.
jporter@work

Postby Feral Donkey » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:36 pm

I'm sure Ackley changed the shoulder on that cartridge like he did every cartridge. I'm googling it and am finding nothing. I see 8mm-06 AI, but not 8X57 AI.

Let me know if you want this barrel. You want to borrow my barrel vice and action wrench?

Feral Donkey

Postby jporter@work » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:05 am

Feral, thanks for the offer of the equipment. Sorry it took so long to get back, but things have been fun lately around here. Turns out that the guy that was going to let me use his shop (he has heavier vises, etc.) has the barrels vice and action wrench. He thinks he may even have a .308 barrel lying around.
jporter@work

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Rifleman's Hide