[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4685: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4687: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4689: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
Pirates Of Archery • View topic - 8mm-06

Skip to content

8mm-06

Here's the place to talk about your long guns.

8mm-06

Postby jporter@work » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:23 pm

I've been thinking of rebarreling by Mauser in 8mm-06. I have seen a few opinions and they seem split about 50-50 as if there is a big advantage over the 8x57. I'm sort of wanting something out of the ordinary but still not a big hassle to form cases. Any opinions?
jporter@work

Re: 8mm-06

Postby Feral Donkey » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:53 am

The only real reason to do that is for case availability. I do like the .30-06 case a little more because it's got just a tad more capacity and lends its self a little better to the slower burning powders...maybe. Probably not enough to notice. You can get 55 grains of 4350 into an 8X57 case, if I remember right.

The way those rifles are becoming collectable and the parts are getting expensive, I wouldn't mess with it. Well, unless the lands in the throat are eroded away. Reaming it out to the -06 will give you a clean, fresh throat.

Feral Donkey

Postby jporter@work » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:10 am

The bore is rough and it was one my father brought back from Germany after WW2. Thought it would mean more as a shooter than a beater in the cabinet. I can pass it down as something that has memories that way. Just can't decide on the caliber since I don't "need" it as a deer rifle and can use a caliber that you have to reload for. I like being able to use the 30-06 cases as I have a pretty good supply. I've just never loaded anything that I had to form teh cases for.
jporter@work

Postby Feral Donkey » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:23 am

If it's something he brought back from the war, then I wouldn't touch it. That's got some collector value. Actually, a lot of collector value. Get an old Czech Mauser and cut it if you want to tinker. How does it shoot now?

Feral Donkey

Postby jporter@work » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:14 am

This is an old Chech Mauser. Never grouped it, but it's passable. Thought about just getting another 8mm barrel for it but figured it didn't have enough cash or sentimental value as is to let that make me want to leave it as is. I figured a rifle that could be hunted with and passed down would mean more to the kids and grandkids. The oldest grandaughter enjoys using things her "pop pop" made. I'm leaning toward doing it in the style of one that would have been sporterized right after bringing it home from "the war". Thanks for the help.
jporter@work

Postby Feral Donkey » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:03 am

Brownell's catalog has .30-06 barrels already threaded for the Mauser action that have the step contour cut to fit right in that stock.

Feral Donkey

Postby jporter@work » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:20 am

Thanks. I need to look at their web site. They had a lot of mauser barrels for less than $100 last time I looked. Don't remember the calibers, but I think they were 30-06, .243, etc.
jporter@work

Postby Mann » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:16 pm

I really wish you guys would let this thread die. :lol:
I have an old Mauser 98 and now I have spent the last 2 hours
at the Brownells and Midway USA sites figuring how much this
New .308 Winchester is going to cost. :oops: :P
Mann

Postby JGray » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:03 pm

I had a short fling with both the 8mm-06 and 8x57. It started with a 8mm-06 I picked up that was a sporterized WWII mauser. The military sights were removed, the stepped barrel turned down, the reciever drilled and tapped, the bolt handle reshaped, and a walnut sporter stock added. It had a smooth bore and shot good, but recoil was pretty stout for as light as the rifle was - not much of fun to shoot. Shortly after finding this one, I came across another sporterized WWII mauser. This one had the original 8x57 chamber, drilled and tapped, modified bolt handle and was in a Ramline stock. It had been polished and blued with the original military sights and stepped barrel. The bore was pitted, but still shiny - it also shot well and was a blast to shoot. Recoil very managable and groups didn't wander or open up much as the barrel heated up. It seemed you could just pump the rounds through it and it averaged around 1.5" groups at 100 yards regardless of the number of rounds fired.

I know it was fairly common for 8x57's to be rechambered to 8mm-06 after the war due to the availability 30-06 vs. 8x57 brass, though am not sure we really have that situation today. My 8x57 came with a couple hundred rounds of Norma brass (which I still have) so I've never had to buy it. Graf's right now lists five suppliers of 8x57 brass but only have Winchester and Norma in stock at this time. Loaded 8x57 ammo seems to be readily available.

I don't miss the 8mm-06 at all, but am still kicking myself for getting rid of the 8x57 (I'll have another someday when I find the right one). Your "dilemma" would be a no-brainer for me... ;)
JGray

Postby Doc Nock » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:20 am

Hi, Guys, been a way a while, so don't hope you mind if I jump in??

When I lived in MT, there was quite a bit of excitement about converting an .06 to a .338/06. Something about the 06 case, when opened up to .338, the case became MORE efficient and produced better fps for the size case because it was "over-bored" or something???

Reason I throw that out, I bought a beautiful 7x57 Brazillian Mauser, all matching parts, excellent condition at a show in VA when I lived there... Bore was clean and crisp with sharp rifeling.

Trouble was, the corrosive priming in the miliatary ammo, created an unseen problem that might be in your old 8mm bbl too! I had clean, sharp 7mm rifling (lands) but...BUT..the GROOVES were all eat out... when I shot that gun, I got crap groups and a LOT of the fire was seeping past the bullet.

I had to get a whole new barrel. Better to do a rifling casting with serosafe or something and have the lands and grooves measured before you go too far with the present barrel.

When I scrubbed that barrel with good cleaner and heavy brushes,out would come a ton of crud...then look clean as a whistle...do it again...same result! Patches came clean, but the brush just kept bringing up eroded metal in the grooves.

MIght have been something anamolous to the Brazillian ammo or storage, but sure cured me of using military bbls without a casting of the rifling. Looks can deceive!
FWIW... thanks for letting me chip in!
Doc Nock

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Rifleman's Hide