[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4685: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4687: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4689: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
Pirates Of Archery • View topic - I've found my next rifle.

Skip to content

I've found my next rifle.

Here's the place to talk about your long guns.

Re: I've found my next rifle.

Postby Feral Donkey » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:21 am

Now I'm home. Now I've got an erection! I want one!!

Feral Donkey

Postby Feral Donkey » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:23 am

What magazine is that? Armalite? FN-FAL? M1A?

Feral Donkey

Postby Van Bateman » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:14 pm

Unfortunately the magazine is model specific. I think Accurate makes them. Still havent had time to shoot it but a few times.
I'm no rocket surgeon.
Van Bateman

Postby Feral Donkey » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:07 pm

I wonder how it compares to the one Savage made a few years back?

Feral Donkey

Postby bearauto11 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:43 pm

Did y'all see the article on the Ruger Scout in American Rifleman? The magazine just arrived and I haven't read it, butI looked at pictures. It DOES look like lots of fun.
--Tom
bearauto11

Postby PAarcher » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:48 pm

Well, I dug into my pile of synthetic M14 stocks and sold some off. Unloaded a few other items that were just taking up space and managed to raise enough money to buy one of my own. :D

I've only had it out once so far and was only able to shoot it with iron sights. I tried mounting both of my Leupold Scout Scopes and managed to find a design flaw in them. Putting a scope ring within 3/4" of the rear ocular bell will break the horizontal reticle in the scope. Had 'em for years mounted on rifles and never an issue. I managed to pop both reticles in the same day! :evil:

In any case, the trigger is decent. Not perfect, but not bad. I just ran a 20 round barrel break in string through it using some old surplus Austrian Hirtenburger ammo. Actually, it's fairly decent ammo. I was able to hold it within 2" at 100 yards with the irons so I have no doubt that this rifle will be a shooter. (especially after Leupold fixes my scopes!)

The mags are not proprietary. They are the same mags used by Accuracy International. They are very good magazines. My only "complaint" with them is that they cannot be topped off while in the rifle. There are a number of companies making mags that should work in the ruger and Ruger is said to be releasing a polymer version sometime in the near future. I want to pick up a few 5 rounders and a few of these 10 rounders from Alpha Industries. They are only slightly longer than the Ruger 5 rounders.

I love Scout rifles. This one will need a little tweaking but nothing major. So far I really like it. I'll post more on it as I get in deeper with it. I plan on doing a lot of shooting this summer. Time was when I considered myself a rifleman. I was a pretty darn good shot. I got away from that and I need to fix it.
PAarcher

Postby PAarcher » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:54 pm

PAarcher

Postby Feral Donkey » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:02 pm

I think I might need one of those too. :D

Feral Donkey

Postby Feral Donkey » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:26 pm

It amazes me they wouldn't use a proven magazine that's been in production for years like the FN-FAL or M14 magazine. That would be a great marketing thing for the paramilitary crowd.

See, It would be nice if you could load it through the top and retain the removable box magazine. It would even be nicer if you could load it with stripper clips like the SMLE. Someone needs to plant a bug in someone's ear at Williams and maybe someone will add that little bracket that intrudes over the top of the action opening a little to allow the use of stripper clips. They could just copy the old Mauser or Springfield clips. I really like stripper clips for hunting. You can carry a clip in your pocket without anything rattling and it lays flay. When I go hunting, it's always after I get off work. I toss on the orange and go out in my street clothes. I don't want to have to put on a Bat Man utility belt to carry my ammo.

If I were rich and had the right licenses to build a firearm, I'd make the rifle the right way. ;) It's really damn close though.

Feral Donkey

Postby PAarcher » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:29 am

Apparently the original intent was to use M14 mags. They abandoned the idea when they discovered variations from mag to mag that must have caused some feeding issues. The AI mags are proven, solid mags but you couldn't load them with a stripper clip. They have to be loaded by hand. AI has been making military sniper rifles for a long time so while m14, fal mags and stripper clips would be nice, I think the mags they chose were a good decision.

You should buy one. That scope set up takes a little getting used to but is hard to beat in the hunting field. Should I bring it to Baltimore?
PAarcher

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Rifleman's Hide