Skip to content

Turnips

Farming for Big Game and Game Birds

Turnips

Postby owlbait » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:41 am

My hunting ground is in West Central Lower Peninsula Michigan. The last 2 years I have seeded turnips with a generic food plot mix. I get good greens but very little root. Any suggestions? The purpletop turnips grew the best for me. The DNR recommended Samson turnips but the seed has been hard to find. Thanks for any help.
Mike
owlbait

Re: Turnips

Postby topcamp » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:30 am

what time of the year are you putting them in.................????????????? no later than july if you want them to be at their best by november or later..............purple tops seem to work well but don't over seed if you are using other brassicas and small grains in the mix. one of my best buds put in two plotts for me this past summer when i was still out in montana............when i got home at the 1st of october...........they where like a forrest of green salad greens............the deer really didn't start to hammer the greens untill we had a couple heavy frost and the nuts where all used up............but since i haven't had turnips in down here for a long time..........they just won't touch the taproot bulb at all........i mean i have turnips the size of basketballs...............they won't touch them here...yet on my buds place.........they plow the ground up to get to them. now they have completely topped off the plants here now.........so much so that i can't even go cut a good basket of greens for me.............it takes about 3 yrs of planting them before the deer really get a taste of the turnip bulb and only after a couple of good hard freezes and the sugar content comes on..............sounds like you didn't get them in the ground soon enough.
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby owlbait » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Thanks Top! As a matter of fact my first crop didn't come up well...drought?... and I reseeded over the plot mix. I have water to my plot so I may try to keep a closer eye on how much water they get this year too. Basketball size roots? Do your deer dig them up or do the roots pop out of the ground when the freeze comes on hard?
owlbait

Postby topcamp » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:16 pm

little bit of poetic license there ob....on size...but i do have some county fair winning bulbs.... :lol: :lol: ....i have a clay/loamy type of top soil for the food plotts .......chicken manure...........and the turnip bulb is usually visable about a 1/3 above ground............as i mentioned........this year the deer completely ignore the bulb........won't touch it.......even after i have busted up a bunch on the surface just to get them started...............on barto's farm...........sandy soil.........they just plow them up after they have mowed down the tops................his turnip plots looked like you went in and chiesel plowed coming and going. but........he has planted turnips in part of his plots for years and has lots of sikas and they just hammer the crap out of them. both species have accquired a taste for the bulbs on barto's stag haven farm.

i don't think we had a ground popping freeze here all winter ........maybe three or four days here and there of sub freezing temps but nothing that would penetrate below surface very far............lot of guys just mix their turnip seed in with a bag of sand .........and then broadcast the lot. you really don't want them to thick if your using more than one type of plant in your food plots..........they simply will shade everything else out.

your another line further north than we are .........soooooooo look at your planting times carefully...........like i said ......down here you want them in by the end of july for sure.
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby owlbait » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:29 pm

Thanks again. My son-in-law put some in 4-5 years ago (after I finally convinced him to try it) and the deer hammer them all season long. He does spray his plot early to kill the weeds first so maybe I will need that. No chicken fertilizer at our hunting camp but the bullshit runneth over! Hope your plots do well this year. I'll post pics later this year.
owlbait

Postby topcamp » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:02 pm

here's what they should look like come october...................
Attachments
bb's bb food plot010.jpg
bb's bb food plot010.jpg (160.54 KiB) Viewed 4159 times
bb's bb food plot025.jpg
bb's bb food plot025.jpg (221.29 KiB) Viewed 4159 times

_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby Penny Banks » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:44 am

I only know a little about it and all I do know relates to the North Florida area where I live.

Our deer love turnip tops and ignore mustards and turnip roots. This is fine with me since I grow the mustards for household use.

We have to be very critical here of our soil ph. Our soil is naturally acid and we need to put out a lot of lime to sweeten it up. No lime and we get small tops and non-existent roots.
Penny Banks

Postby topcamp » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:10 am

No lime and we get small tops and non-existent roots.

penny pretty much sums it up ob..............with me taking it for granted that you have checked your ph.
barto limed the hell out of my plots last year when i was away.................

_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby owlbait » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:43 pm

I've limed that plot the last 3-4 years but :oops: haven't checked the ph. Guess my Biology degree should be taken away from me! I did see a fairly inexpensive ph meter at Cabela's that I may pick up to do that task!
owlbait

Postby Penny Banks » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:12 pm

Your local extension service will do it for you also. I know around here if you have had pines on your land you must apply lime in terms of tonnage per acre.
Penny Banks

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Food Plots