Skip to content

what to plant for turkeys? deer?

Farming for Big Game and Game Birds

what to plant for turkeys? deer?

Postby Erick Shumway » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:02 pm

I hunt a friends place in west florida no one else hunts this place execpt me for now, its 60 acres and is rite next to myakka state park. there's already turkeys and deer that come through but i was thinking of putting out feeders or i would planting food plots would be my best bet? has anyone here tried tecomate seeds?
how big of food plot do you typically plant?
to the dust we shall return
Erick Shumway

Re: what to plant for turkeys? deer?

Postby Robertfishes » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:35 pm

The guys at my hunt club plant food plots and I have never heard of them killing a buck off of one, I have never planted anything myself...This last season before bow season I mowed and fertilized a 200 yard x 10 ft lane seperating some short pines and mature pines/oaks. I saw deer almost everytime I sat there, I took a 8 point the first sitting during black powder season and passed a few young ones after that.. The food plots get eaten and the hogs tear them up but we think they mostly use them at night, other than the deer we have a lot of Black Bears on our place and a couple of hogs that come and go..
Mowing the natural growth and applying a little 10-10-10 is easy, no tilling, no planting, no hogs and deer eating the seedlings and it didn't cost much either...When I go up to Ohio every November I spend most of my time on the corn and soybean fields
Robertfishes

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:22 pm

I don't know what will and will not grow down there for you, but here, we plant ladino clover in the spring along with annual rye. Deer and turkey both love the clover and the deer go crazy on the rye in the winter months.

My plots are small. I ususally plant four or five and range is size to 40 to 100 yards long and 10 to 30 yards wide.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby superkodiak38 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

I have a small piece I hunt with alot of oaks. I'm going to try fertilizing a couple of them this year and see if it makes them become the primary feed trees. I have heard alot about Chufa, its a tuber and the turkeys supposedly go nuts for it. A small pea patch might do well down there from what ive heard.
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby jeffhalfrack » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:41 pm

them toms love the flys and maggot off a dead cow ;) JEFFW
jeffhalfrack

Return to Board index

Return to Food Plots