Skip to content

VERY VERY delicate seeds (pic)

Farming for Big Game and Game Birds

VERY VERY delicate seeds (pic)

Postby Gino Bruno » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:32 pm

i came home for a quick bite of lunch and found a package on the porch....... i opened it up and found tons of bubble wrap...... the contents weren't quite what i expected. it ended up being a bag of sawtooth acorns from burgess (Topcamp). seeds this protected must be VERY special. he told me that the crops off these trees are like deer crack but to see the acorns come in a little "baggie" really sealed the deal for me. :lol:

thanks a ton buddy!!!!!

so what do you recommend for planting time (now or spring), depth and any fertilizer ect.?

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Re: VERY VERY delicate seeds (pic)

Postby topcamp » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:33 pm

you probably should do a seed bed.........in the ground now about 2 inches deep.........don't let them dry out.................then you can transplant the seedlings next spring or the following spring........you probably should tube them when you plant them where you want them......they will be browsed heavy until they gain some height. plant about 20' apart and then thin once they start producing in about 10 to 12 years.................they are awesome producers..............they are a japanese oak...............that the state of maryland has been planting in their set aside forest program............awesome food plot. good rich soil on the medium moisture side............i would wait until they get a start to lightly fertilize the drip line only...................
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Re: VERY VERY delicate seeds (pic)

Postby Jesse Minish » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:23 pm

Cool! Good on you TC!
Jesse Minish

Return to Board index

Return to Food Plots