Skip to content

barley.......

Farming for Big Game and Game Birds

barley.......

Postby topcamp » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:19 am

my cousin put in barley this year as a cover crop..........it's up and solid green................and being hammered like nothing i've seen..........we never before have used barley as a food plot........winter rye....winter oates........winter wheat........but never barley. of course it's the only fresh green around as the winter wheat is not in yet............but the sawtooths are dropping along with the whiteoaks and i'm sure deer are hitting both...........but the amount of time they're spending in the barley is amazing. will have to see how it holds up later in the year................
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Re: barely.......

Postby Gino Bruno » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:03 am

TC,
when did he plant it?
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby topcamp » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:38 am

i'll ask him.......my guess would be late august.........it was up at least 3 inchs when i got back here mid september..............
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby topcamp » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:49 pm

the barley has only been in the ground for about two weeks..........as dry as it was.........he said it was breaking ground in 3 days................pretty damn impressive food plot.

_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby Hornseeker » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:47 pm

Barely what? Did he barely put in alfalfa? Bio-Logic? Winter Wheat? or did he barely put in a little Barley??

Sorry, but we all got a little smart ass in us....
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby topcamp » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:56 pm

:twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

_tc on growing old
topcamp

Re: barley.......

Postby Gino Bruno » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:19 pm

i almost wrote something similar when i saw that last night, E....... but i figured we need to respect our elders....... especially guys like TC that are so old that when they fart, it is 95% dust.

that and the fact that i personally can't spell or write worth a shart so i don't really have room to point out a little spelling error. :lol:

TC, the winter wheat is in the ground here as of about an hour ago...... Tim just finished drilling it with the headlights on the big deere blazing. 350 acres worth of the south end fields. it is the only winter wheat for nearly 4 miles!!!!!!!! i should have a trail cam pic or two of him tomorrow where that pic was snapped of the two little bucks sparing.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Re: barley.......

Postby topcamp » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:40 am

i even spell checked it...........and still typed it wrong.................kept seeing it as it should be............but.......screw both of you and the horse that brought you to the boat......... :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

the barely :roll: :oops: :oops: .......as in barley .........is now up about 5 to 6 inches and just like that ............the switch is off and they have left the field. now the winter wheat is not in and other than crp ground.....the barley is the only green around. i have noticed before that once small grains reach that growth level...........deer just back off it. maybe the protein content changes or the surger goes away. of course the acorns are hitting the ground here in buckets and when the first frost turns the maple leaves to sugar then deer back here spend most of their time browsing woods grounds ...........hitting beans once the pods turn hard again..............they are also browsing hard on edge lines........amazing what plants they include in their diet.......

_tc on growing old
topcamp

Return to Board index

Return to Food Plots